Unlimited Characters in Custom Profile Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited Characters in Custom Profile Field

Well the guys at vb.org shafted me when I asked so maybe someone here can help me. It looks like a custom profile field has a limit of 250 characters. There's a field on my site that sometimes requires anywhere from 500 to 1000 characters. How can I disable or raise the limit?

You'll need to manually change this in phpMyAdmin. Increase the length attribute of the description field in the profilefield table.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks for answering, but I got an error:

Error

SQL-query :

ALTER TABLE `profilefield` CHANGE `description` `description` CHAR( 500 ) NOT NULL

MySQL said:

Too big column length for column 'description' (max = 255). Use BLOB instead

Comment

You can change the type to BLOB.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Okay, I've got it set on BLOB along with the length @ 500, but it still doesn't work. It still cuts off at 250 characters.

Comment

Did you change the maxlength in the Admin CP?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yes.

-The length attribute of the description field in the profile field table = 500
              -It's set on BLOB
              - Maxlength of the profile field in the vb admin cp = 500

Any ideas?

Comment

Sorry I don't have any ideas. AFAIK that should work.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X