Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing vB and making it go "live"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Installing vB and making it go "live"

    I currently have my site running with InvisionBoard.

    I'd like to install vBulletin and customize it and work with it to how I want it to be while my Invision is still operating...

    My forum is located at www.mydomain.com/forum

    That is where Invision is installed.

    Is it possible to install vBulletin in another directory and then when I decide to convert my Invision Board to vB have the vB board take over the www.mydomain.com/forum?

    Is it difficult to do that?

    So basically, I want to keep the same link to my forum and eventually have vB there when I'm done working with it...

    Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated, thanks.

  • #2
    Yes, you can install vB in another directory and when the time comes just delete the contents of the current forums directory and subdirectories and copy the vB files and subs to it.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Yes, you can install vB in another directory and when the time comes just delete the contents of the current forums directory and subdirectories and copy the vB files and subs to it.
      So by moving vB to the forums directory it automatically takes over the link? If someone goes to www.loudrant.com/forum it would be the vB board?

      Comment


      • #4
        Exactly! as long as you get rid of the files that where there before moving the vb there

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Oricon
          Exactly! as long as you get rid of the files that where there before moving the vb there
          Wow, sounds a lot easier then I originally thought it would be...

          Comment


          • #6
            The only other thing you'd need to do is update the URL to your forum in the Admin CP.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

            Steve Machol Photography


            Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


            Comment


            • #7
              Does it matter if vB is installed to the same MySQL database or would it be better if it were installed to a different one?

              btw, thanks for the help

              Comment


              • #8
                You might get some conflicting table names, so you should install vBulletin in a different database.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for all of the help guys, I installed vB in it's own MySQL database and everything went smoothly.

                  Question though...I made the Admin's ( myself ) username the same as my username on my invision board...when I convert will that conflict?

                  Do any of you know?

                  Thanks again.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It shouldn't conflict. You might have two identical usernames after the import, but they will be different userids.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It might be easier if you just simply "Re-named" your directory from the old forum:

                      /forum/

                      to

                      /old_forum/

                      and then renaming your vB forum from whatever it is when you installed it to:

                      /forum/

                      ...........hope you see what I mean!

                      This way if something goes wrong, you'll still be able to re-name your old forum back to it's original so you can fix the new one and etc.

                      :cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ABLady
                        It might be easier if you just simply "Re-named" your directory from the old forum:

                        /forum/

                        to

                        /old_forum/

                        and then renaming your vB forum from whatever it is when you installed it to:

                        /forum/

                        ...........hope you see what I mean!

                        This way if something goes wrong, you'll still be able to re-name your old forum back to it's original so you can fix the new one and etc.
                        Wow, I never thought about that!

                        That would make the move VERY easy, thanks for the tip!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Let me ask you this...is it a good idea to start the vB board with a different name other then the one I use with Invision?

                          I re-installed vB just now and I'm not going to enter the name until I know if I should...

                          When I convert can I make the converted account the admin?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FutureXec
                            When I convert can I make the converted account the admin?
                            Yes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Wait. We don't have an Invision Board importer. You will need to ask the author of the importer you are using.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X