MAJOR Problem!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAJOR Problem!!

First off, I know I broke the cardinal rule of allowing more than one person having Admin rights to my vbulletin. This was my final learning point I guess, but let me get to the problem.

One of my "Admins" was wanting to move the threads from one forum into another then remove the original forum. Apparently he was using the mass move function in the Admin CP, and instead of selecting the source forum to be that single forum, he let the default ---All--- stay selected. Well as you can imagine, ALL of the thread from ALL of the other forums were moved to the destination forum.

Since there's over 100,000 threads, I think that moving them manually would be a real pain... PLEEEASE tell me that there is some kind of rollback function in mysql to remove all commits from a certain date? or that vBullietin can put things back the way the were? I know it's a shot in the dark, but my latest backup is over a month old, so if I revert back to that I lose a months worth of posts, plus 200+ members. I don't do a daily backup since my db is over 2 gig. I just don't have that sort of real estate to be making daily backups, but I may have to put some sort of backup plan to use.

AM I screwed or can I be saved???!!

Vbulletin 2.3.0 and mysql 3.23.46

PLEASE HELP!

Originally posted by petey
    First off, I know I broke the cardinal rule of allowing more than one person having Admin rights to my vbulletin. This was my final learning point I guess, but let me get to the problem.

One of my "Admins" was wanting to move the threads from one forum into another then remove the original forum. Apparently he was using the mass move function in the Admin CP, and instead of selecting the source forum to be that single forum, he let the default ---All--- stay selected. Well as you can imagine, ALL of the thread from ALL of the other forums were moved to the destination forum.

Since there's over 100,000 threads, I think that moving them manually would be a real pain... PLEEEASE tell me that there is some kind of rollback function in mysql to remove all commits from a certain date? or that vBullietin can put things back the way the were? I know it's a shot in the dark, but my latest backup is over a month old, so if I revert back to that I lose a months worth of posts, plus 200+ members. I don't do a daily backup since my db is over 2 gig. I just don't have that sort of real estate to be making daily backups, but I may have to put some sort of backup plan to use.

AM I screwed or can I be saved???!!

Vbulletin 2.3.0 and mysql 3.23.46

PLEASE HELP!
    Are you doing daily backups of your database?

If so try to restore the previous days backup, your board will loose posts that have been made since that backup but If i'm correct it should undo the mess?

Don't quote me on that, someone with more experience may have a different solution.

Comment

What poolking suggests is your only viable option. I'm afraid there is no other way to 'rollback' the database.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I saw this happen to someone else, you could always pay someone to do it, I'm sure someone would love some extra money. *cough* me!!! *cough*

Comment

This has happened to me, too. Perhaps there should be some sort of confimation to move *ALL* posts anywhere, sort of like when you do a "del *.*" in DOS; sure you could really mean to do that, but not usually, so it makes sure you reallize what you're doing. That, or not make it the default.

As for restoration, I hope you have a lot of admins and sen. mods to clean up that mess...
          http://www.zelaron.com/sigs/rotsig.gif

Comment

Looks like I'm basically bent over on this one then. The latest backup I have is 1 month old, so I'm going to lose everything from that point on.

I blame myself, but I can guarentee this wont happen again.

Thank you all for responding

Comment

Originally posted by petey
              Looks like I'm basically bent over on this one then. The latest backup I have is 1 month old, so I'm going to lose everything from that point on.

I blame myself, but I can guarentee this wont happen again.

Thank you all for responding
              Remember in future to do daily backups, it will save you the grief of loosing a months postings and work.

Comment

speaking of daily backups. anyone want to tell me how they organise theirs ?
                a crontab to exe a script ?
                how many days backups do you keep ?
                a daily , weekly , monthly ?
                do you just backup the database or do you do the vb files aswell ?
                do you encrypt them ?
                do you transfer them to another server ?

see i am nosey
                My Sites :

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X