How do I backup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I backup?

Is there a way to back up my entire board (mySQL, styles, templates, members, etc...)? If not, how can I save all this stuff regularly, so if something bad happens, I can bring it back? Please give details and info. Thanks!
    "You forgot about my trap card!"
    "Oh no!!"
    "Oh yes, and wait till you hear about it's special ability!"

To backup your database, see Step 1 here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

That says how to move servers. Not back it up...
      "Oh no!!"

Comment

Step 1 gives explicit instructions on how to backup your database.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

how do I telnet/SSH?
          "Oh no!!"

Comment

You need to first have a SSH/Telnet program. Putty is a great SSH/Telnet program.

If for some reason you can't connect to your site via SSH or Telnet, contact your host to make sure you even have the ability to access it.

Comment

alright, I didn't understand how the "putty" thing worked, so I went to phpmyadmin, and the exported the whole .sql file onto my computer. It came down to 8,119 KB. Now what exactly does this include? I downloaded my style file sepereatly. I really need to download the option settings alot, and defiantly the templates, since I edited like a million of them. So, how would I put the sql backup back up if the board got messed up? Thanks!
              "Oh no!!"

Comment

Downloading via phpMyAdmin is not a reliable method to backup your database. I strongly recommend you learn to use SSH:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...378#post394378

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Do you have cPanel available?

Comment

What if SSH is not available on the server? And yes Ketro has Cpanel.

Comment

You can make database backups in CPanel. You could also ask your host to make the backup for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

do db backups back up templates? i need to back those up!
                        "Oh no!!"

Comment

I am hosting Ketro and backups are done every night.

So what's the difference between making a backup through Cpanel, PhpMyAdmin, and the vB Cpanel?

Comment

Originally posted by Firefuze
                            I am hosting Ketro and backups are done every night.

So what's the difference between making a backup through Cpanel, PhpMyAdmin, and the vB Cpanel?
                            Never rely on a host to do backups, you should always do your own.

There are time out issues with vb cpanel and phpmyadmin depending on the size of the database.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketro
                              do db backups back up templates?
                              Yes.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X