Copy threads and posts only to new server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy threads and posts only to new server

I've copied my forum to my new host, but because I didn't know how long it would take, I left the old forum open to the users and they've of course posted threads and posts since I copied the database.

So I'm thinking I will close the old forum and quickly copy the threads and posts which have been posted since I made the last copy to the new host.

I just want to make sure there aren't any relations with other tables that I should take into consideration. Are there?

Yes of course there are relations among the tables: user, userfiled, post, thread, forum - just to name a few interconnected tables. You'd be better off shutting down the forum then transferring the database over.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Here is what I do when I upgrade the version of vBulletin (I'd do the same thing if I was to move to a different server).

First I upload the new version vBulletin files (already hacked and tested) to a new folder on the server.

Then, I post a message to the support forum telling the members that update is in process, urging them to wait with new posts, or save local copies of any posts they make, so they can repost their messages after the update is complete. This post usually preceded with a message posted well in advance, notifying users of a future update scheduled

After that, I close the forums just for a minute, to do the MySQL database unload into one big file.

Then, I create a new MySQL database, and execute the big reload script file created earlier against that new database. The vBulletin I uploaded into the new folder is configured to access this new database. So I just run any necessary update scripts, and test the new vBulletin to make sure everything is right.

The final steps are: delete the folder with the older version of vBulletin, rename the new vBulletin folder to the correct forums folder name, and post a message to the support forum, that everything is peachy and members are free to post again.

Comment

...And, also, delete the old MySQL database

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Yes of course there are relations among the tables: user, userfiled, post, thread, forum - just to name a few interconnected tables. You'd be better off shutting down the forum then transferring the database over.
          Yes, I realise there are of course relations. What I want to know is if there are any relations I should take into consideration. In other words, tables that are updated in one way or another with every post/thread that is posted.

I'm sorry, I don't really see the problem with the tables you mentioned. For exampl, when a user posts a message or a new thread, the only affected colum in the "user" table would be "lastvisit", "lastpost" and "posts". I would imagine "lastvisit" and "lastpost" would be replaced as soon as they login and make another post, and "posts" would be updated when I run "Update User's Post Counts" in the control panel.

Comment

Any post by a user needs to be part of a thread which is part of a forum, correct? And the userfield table is required along with the user table for member data. Therefore all these tables are related.
            Last edited by Steve Machol; Sun 18 May '03, 8:10am.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              Any post by a user needs to be part of a thread which is part of a forum, correct? And the uderfield table is required along with the user table for member data. Therefore all these tables are related.
              As I explained above, I realise the tables have relations, but I was asking about relations that I should take into consideration when exporting rows from the thread and post tables. I have now made this export and it worked perfectly.

Are you a programmer Steve? Because I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying.

Comment

No I'm not a programmer and yes I believe I understand what you are saying. However this is the first time you said anything about exporting 'rows' instead of whole tables, so maybe you are talking about something new and different now.

IMO all of the tables I mentioned previously need to be 'taken into consideration'. I'm sorry I didn't make that clearer before.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X