• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up database

When I try to backup dB from VB control panel I get the following error
    everytime I try

Action canceled
    Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also tried to do it using ws_ftp but although some parts are copied I also get errors using this method.

Any ideas?

Please note that the most reliable method of backing up your forums is through shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP can result in timeouts errors and an incomplete backup file. This may be the problem you experienced.

The recommended backup procedure is explained in Step One on this page:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I only ask because my host does not allow telnet connections

Comment

Not even SSH? Then your best bet is to ask your host to make the backup for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

CAnt you back up and move without ussing SSH or telnet through your VB. If so, how do u do it?

Comment

Not easily. If you have a very small database then you might be able to use phpMyAdmin.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

All im trying to do is back my forums. I dont have any posts or users. I just done want to have to re-create the forums name...How do you do it with phpmyadmin. Is it as easy as copying over a file and paste it into the new DB?

Comment

I have a question regarding the same thing...I just 'supposedly' made a backup of my db through the admin cp and it came out to be 261kb - does that seem normal for having 330 users and a lot of forums with posts, etc?

-Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Reality
                  I have a question regarding the same thing...I just 'supposedly' made a backup of my db through the admin cp and it came out to be 261kb - does that seem normal for having 330 users and a lot of forums with posts, etc?

-Jon
                  That does seem very small, which does suggest an incomplete backup.

Does your host offer SSH/Telnet access?

If so backup the database through that.

Comment

Originally posted by poolking
                    That does seem very small, which does suggest an incomplete backup.

Does your host offer SSH/Telnet access?

If so backup the database through that.
                    Yeah it seems rather small to me as well, I'm really trying to get my former host to do the backup from their end and I'm even offering to pay them to do it :\

-Jon

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X