Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Issue.

Hi,

Last night my forum was set upon by the members of another forum.

They posted images which it is a federal offence to post onto a forum which posts nothing of the sort (ie: mine). I happened to have my daughter sat on my knee watching me and saw some images... *sigh* I hope she didn't.

I have traced and telephoned the providers of these users in Canada and the USA from where I live in England and am awaiting outcome on this.

How do I go about reporting these forums for 1: Their content 2: What they condone?

I can supply a public link to a thread on their forum where it's fully visible that they did what they did, I can supply lnks to my forum proving where they did it.

Please e-mail me someone from vb.

Tim

How much money did you loose?

Comment

? Don't make any money from my site, non-profit.

Comment

What did you loose then?

Comment

Well when you see images of corpses from a certain website or have links posted which lead directly to images of a guy holding his 'ass ring' open, perhaps you'll not be worried about what you lost, but how to stop it happening?

You ever banned a user? I hope your next one doesn't do what this one did then.

Comment

Yeh, that's pretty disgusting.

I think, unless you can put a negative monetary value on the accident, there is no way FBI or somebody else would be interested in helping you. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Comment

It's a federal offense to post those from the USA or Canada where these guys came from, they are also breaking vb TOS.

Comment

The vb TOS worth nothing, unless you are willing to enforce it in court. And the first thing the judge will ask you (at least in the US) is, how much money did you loose.

Can you name a specific statue that describes what these scum did as a federal offence?
                Last edited by TObject; Tue 29 Apr '03, 12:45pm.

Comment

Section 1470. Transfer of Obscene Material to Minors
                  • Whoever, using the mail or any facility or means of interstate or foreign commerce, knowingly transfers or attempts to transfer obscene material to another individual who has not attained the age of 16 years.

Comment

I may be wrong but I don't think this section can be applied in this case. Anyway.
                    I am not a lawyer, but I am interested in the subject.

Let's say that we established that the particular crime extends beyond state boundaries, and breaks one of the laws under the Title 18 of the US code. What can an individual do, to bring the bad guys to justice? Another words, what we can do if we have an alleged violation of the US federal law, and authorities don't know about it?

First of all, who can bring a criminal case to the US federal court? As far as I know, it must be the US attorney's office. The particular person would be an assistant United States attorney from one of the districts, who will decide which charges to file, who to charge etc.

Here is the contact information for the US Attorney offices:
                    http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/offices/index.html

As far as I know, you can directly contact one of the offices and bring the suspected federal offence to their attention. However, before the US Attorney's Office can initiate the prosecution, one of the investigative agencies (such as FBI) must perform the investigation. At the same, the US Attorney's Office should be able to help with guidance and legal advice. So, I think, it would not hurt if you e-mail or write a letter to the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the district where the bad guy lives, and they should be able to point you to the right direction, or maybe even take the case.

Or you can contact the FBI, and see what is their take on this.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X