Help! Users wont stay logged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Users wont stay logged in

I have a TON of users on my site, forums.maine-street.com that can not stay logged in. These are not AOL users, they use all sorts of different ISPs, browsers and computers. I have lost so many people already due to this problem. I have search here and have found no anwser that fixes anything. I really need some help on this. Here is how one user descriebd it:

I'm having some trouble with my cookies. I reg'd yesterday, and posted fine
    four times. Then later in the workday, I showed up to the site and realized
    I wasn't cookied in. So I logged in on the main page. Then I found a thread
    I wanted to reply in, so I click reply. Again, I was forced to log in. It
    does say "welcome back, Slalom RS" just like normal. So I'd type my reply,
    hit submit, and yet again I'd be forced to log in. I'd do so, then it would
    take me back to the main page. I did this several times. So I went home
    last night, and was able to post fine from my home PC. Again this morning,
    my work PC doesn't like it. I know my cookies are on as all day long I'm on
    web forums and have no cookie problems. It even worked yesterday morning.
    And it works from home.
    This is what happens to all of the users with this problem. There are, id say 20 people with this problem. This is the error they get:

vBulletin MessageNo forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

Can someone please help!
    Thank you

Do you have any hacks installed? Did you change the Cookie Domain and/or Path to Cookies setting? What are they set to?

Also, upload the phpinfo.php file from the 'extras' directory of the zip file to your forums directory. Then post the URL here. This will help us troubleshoot the problem.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have a few hacks installed, like quick reply. Nothing major though. This just happened all the sudden too. not after any install or update, just out of the blue.

Cookie domain field is blank
      Cookie Path is "/"

Can someone email or something phpinfo.php to me? The zip file is at my home computer and im at school (8 hours away and no one at home is compitent enough to do it)

Comment

Create a text file with this content:

PHP Code:
        <?php
        phpinfo
        ();
        ?>
        Name it 'phpinfo.php' then upload it to your forum directory and post the URL here.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

http://www.njrdesign.net/forum/phpinfo.php

Comment

Hmmm...I don't really see anything there. What are the affected memebrs settings for these:

- Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)
            - Browse the board with cookies

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I emaileed them asking but have not yet heard back. Is there anything else you can think of? Its really annoying getting 2+ emails a week from different users with this problem.

Comment

You can check these settings yourself in the Admin CP. Just pull up those users' profiles.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hi my forum runs off 2 domains in the "Cookie Domain" field can i have 2 domains in there is yes do i just seperate them via a space?

Thankyou.

Comment

No. Cookies are specific to just one domain and there is no facility in vB to support more.

What you can try is to leave the cookie domain blank. I believe this will effectively accomplish the same thing.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      Hmmm...I don't really see anything there. What are the affected memebrs settings for these:

- Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)
                      - Browse the board with cookies
                      Those are both set to yes...

Comment

Working...
                      X