Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem: Many users still can't post after visiting confirmation link

Hi there:
    Our forum requires email confirmation before a user can post. Starting recently, however, I'm getting more and more emails on members still not being able to post after visiting the confirm link- their user status simply does not get changed, and stays at "User Requiring Confirmation." I need to manually update their status. Not all new members bump into this problem, but it would seem at least 30% or more do these days and growing.

What could be the cause of this? I tried running repair.php to make sure all the tables are non corrupt, and they passed. Any other suggestions on determining or resolving the problem (ie: running mysqlcheck)?

Thanks!
    - JavaScript Kit | CSS Drive | CodingForums.com | CodeTricks.com

Are you sure they are clicking on the activation links? Have you installed any hacks? I can't think of any reason for this to suddenly start happening for no reason.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Steve:
      Nope, no hacks have been installed, and from the huge increase in problems with new members, I have to assume the problem is not with them not clicking on the confirm link.

One potential problem was that on April 3rd, our server's control panel (Ensim) was updated while the database was still running- this caused thousands of mysql errors, but once the update was completed, things seem to have gone back to normal, with running repair.php not able to determine any problems. However, it is starting this date that the huge increase in new members's status not changed to "Member" even after visiting the link started.

I guess my question is, what sort of table problems could be causing this, and will running mysqlcheck over repair.php be useful in determining this?

Thanks,

Comment

If you are not getting ny databse errors then I highly doubt it's a db issue. If some members are clicking on the activation link and it works for them, then IO believe one of two things is happening:

1. The other members are not clicking in the link in the activation email.
        2. The other members are not getting the email to begin with.

The latter is the most likely cause. And since some of the email on your forums is working, my guess is that this is a mail server or mailbox issue. If so, you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Steve: Thanks for the assessment. However, every member that has recently contacted me regarding not being able to post have explicitly said they've received the confirm email and clicked on the required link. Perhaps a fraction of them did in fact inadvertently missed a step, but the consistency of members contacting me daily regarding this would seem to indicate there in fact is a problem after having done both of the above steps. The surge in problem starting April 3rd is most worrisome to me.

Does running repair.php effectively indicate whether there is a db problem? As mentioned I'm also not getting any db error emails from my forum.

Thanks,

Comment

Hmmm...I can't think of a single reason for this to happn on an unhacked forum. Fill out a support ticket at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/support_form.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I've exactly the same problem

my members cannot activate thier accounts, when anyone clicks on the activation link, he gets a blank page!

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=69516

Comment

If you don't have any hacks installed, then see the same answer above.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hi Steve;
                  Before I submitted a support ticket, I wanted to try and recreate the problem. Well, after signing up under new member names several times these past few days, it finally happened this time. I created an account, then clicked on the confirmation link. VB returned the message:

" Your account has already been activated so please try logging in."

So I did, knowing full well I never saw the initial "Welcome/Activated" message beforehand. So the problem then occurs- as a member I cannot post with my status still being stuck in "user awaiting confirmation", and clicking on that confirmation link again repeats the above message.

Only thing I can think of is leading up to the new registration, I had logged out of another test account. Perhaps the cookies weren't completely cleared, but for actual new members that have been emailing me regarding this problem, surely they can't all have just logged out of one account to sign up for another...

Thanks,
                  Last edited by georgec; Tue 22 Apr '03, 5:14am.

Comment

I just registered for codingforums.com and got this same error. This was after following instructions and having never visited the forums before.

Two things...

1. Make sure "Moderate New Accounts" is turned off.

2. Revert the Registeradult and email_activateaccount templates.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi Wayne:
                      Thanks for the reply:

1) By Moderate New Accounts, do you mean "Moderate New members"? If so, this checkbox has always been "off"

2) Done- I've reverted both templates to the original. I don't see how this would help though, since the changes were simply cosmetic on my part, and were in place since last year with no problems...

Thanks,
                      Last edited by georgec; Tue 22 Apr '03, 5:32am.

Comment

Hi:
                        Upon doing the two things above, I'm still experiencing the exact same problem:

1) Sign up as a new member
                        2) Recieve a confirmation email, though clicking on it returns "" Your account has already been activated so please try logging in."
                        3) The problem then occurs- as a member I cannot post with my status still being stuck in "user awaiting confirmation", and clicking on that confirmation link again repeats the above message.

This time I tested using a different computer and browser.

Please help- this has basically destroyed the registration process on our forum, with at least 30-40% of all new registrations bumping into this problem. Should I open a support ticket?

Comment

If you have not installed any hacks, fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP.

If you have installed hacks, then remove the hacks first before filling out the support request

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            If you have not installed any hacks, fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP.

If you have installed hacks, then remove the hacks first before filling out the support request
                            Same problem with me. Do I have to submit a ticket here as well.

Comment

Yes. Make sure you have no hacks installed.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X