Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, having problems restoring database to new server.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, having problems restoring database to new server.

I am in the process of moving my website.

I have already moved all forum related files, now is time for the database.

I have backed up the database by using the forum admin, I ftped it to my new server.

On the server I used the command

mysql -uroot -p vbulletin </home/webmaster/vbulletin.sql

to import the database (I have already created the database)

I am getting this error message:

ERROR 1064 at line 3340: You have an error in your SQL syntax near ''GIF89aÜù\0÷\0\0¦zhæ˱׻¦Ì´ÛÊ·íïó¶
    Z¸dÆçØÒqF5weʤyO2˹¥×ªßßãÅXF' at line 1

I also tried restoring using phpMyAdmin, but it times out.

I even tried backing up the database using phpMyAdmin, but I get the same error message.

Can anyone help?

You need to backup the db as per Step One here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve

I had actually already figured that to be the problem. My only problem now is that the current server my site is on is missing mysqldump, I am not an SQL guru, but maybe it isn't installed. I will talk to the webhost tommorrow.

Just for my own knowledge, can you shed some light on why phpMyAdmin and the forum admin control panel backups do not work correctly, I have come to the conclusion it has something to do with attachments/avatars stored in the database, but what exactly does the control panel/phpMyAdmin do to "corrupt" the backup?

Thanks

Comment

Both the Admin CP backup and phypMyAdmin are scripts. As such they are subject to timing out on large tasks. This is why only these only work the the smallest of databases.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm not moving hosts any time soon, but as you know there is a feature in cPanel to backup the databases. If you did a backup using your old server with cPanel and then on your new server, could you use cPanel again to back up this database (assuming that the new server has cPanel installed).

Comment

I have used the CPanel database backup and it worked perfectly on the 80 Mb db that I tested it with.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Besides the timing out issue, what is the difference. You said that using mysqldump would fix the problem I am having, what makes it different?

Comment

Since you run mysqldump from the command line, it's not subject to the PHP timeout issues that the Admin CP and phpMyAdmin are.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  Since you run mysqldump from the command line, it's not subject to the PHP timeout issues that the Admin CP and phpMyAdmin are.
                  Yes, but my problem is not related to timing out. I am getting an error importing my database. You said that if I use mysqldump to export it, that will fix the problem. I am not questioning you, I just would like to know what the difference is.

Comment

Originally posted by svtsnake01
                    Yes, but my problem is not related to timing out. I am getting an error importing my database. You said that if I use mysqldump to export it, that will fix the problem. I am not questioning you, I just would like to know what the difference is.
                    You get an error importing because the script timed out and didn't get a complete dump in the first place.
                    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                      You get an error importing because the script timed out and didn't get a complete dump in the first place.
                      Thanks Celeron, you told me exactly what I needed to know. I added you to my AOL Buddy List, hope you don't mind.

Comment

If I backup on cpanel, and then restore using SSH, would that work? I am planning to do this very soon, so any help or criticism is welcome.

Comment

If you use the CPanel backup then you should also restore with it as well.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Bummer... My current host has cpanel, but not SSH, the new server does not, but has SSH.

I am stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by ethics
                              Bummer... My current host has cpanel, but not SSH, the new server does not, but has SSH.

I am stumped.
                              Try this. Go to your old host, and make a backup of your database using cpanel. It will save it as something like backup.gz. You'll need a program that will be able to un-zip it. Use can something like StuffIt or WinRar. Once you unzip backup.gz, it will be a file, in this case just backup. Rename the file backup.sql. Then upload that file using FTP to your new server. Now that your backup is on your new server, you can use SSH to restore that database.

I haven't tested this, just logic, so there's no guarantee that this will work. Best of luck, let us know how it turns out.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X