journals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• journals?

sorry bout all the questions lol but yet again... I have another one.
    I have some people on my site that are requesting journals, but I have the slightest idea on how to set them up?
    any one?

This would require hacking, check over at http://vbulletin.org.

Comment

This is a hack, I believe it is called vB Pad...

Comment

thanks

Comment

Actually Its called the Journal Hack :-)

Comment

I have to ask...for curiousity. Why does this require a hack?

Set up a forum.

Make it so that others can't reply to any thread but their own. (Have mods merge any new threads from members already with a thread)

Why a hack?

Of course, there may be great reasons for this, but I'm at a loss why?

The VB software even with 2.X provides for this kind of permissions.

What am I missing?
            Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Many things.

For one, Journal entries are entries, you can make as many as you want. They dont increase your post sount.
              Secondly, people give their veiws about Each entry. Thats not possible in a thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Robink
                Many things.

For one, Journal entries are entries, you can make as many as you want. They dont increase your post sount.
                Secondly, people give their veiws about Each entry. Thats not possible in a thread.
                Thanks for your input Robin.

Well....yes...in vb you can make the journal forum not count towards post count and if you want people to "reply" you can make that possible as well.

Although if I put up a journal forum, it would be for that one individual to post and not have replies. Since by definition a journal is written by one person, why have other's replying and offering views within the journal?

I believe it would work without customizing...although I did see that a snip at vb.org was created that was very simple: causing the user to have ONE thread in that forum and the name of the thread was forced to be called "username's Journal".

This is the only thing that I see needed to alter a forum to make this work without a lot of work on the part of a moderator to merge multiple threads if the user creates a new thread....

But really, I'm very impressed with the software and its variations possible with permissions and such.
                Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X