Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP addresses

Hi,

Recently we had a user spam our forums with various forms of racist abuse, I wrote down the IP address and emailed it out to their ISP. The response I got was:
    Unfortunately, the IP address 62.255.64.5 is assigned to one of our Internet caching servers, and not the user that is placing the messages on your service.
    It is possible to work around this problem if you are able and willing to
    alter your logging script. This script is looking at the wrong variable.
    REMOTE_ADDR and REMOTE_HOST will both respond with the Inktomi traffic servers. However, if you use HTTP_CLIENT_IP or HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR this will report the correct IP address of the user.
    How can I do this? I need something done as this spammer keeps registering over and over again. I cannot ban the IP address as too many other members wont be able to access the site.

Thank you,

Nitesh

Originally posted by Nitesh
    Hi,

Recently we had a user spam our forums with various forms of racist abuse, I wrote down the IP address and emailed it out to their ISP. The response I got was:

How can I do this? I need something done as this spammer keeps registering over and over again. I cannot ban the IP address as too many other members wont be able to access the site.

Thank you,

Nitesh

You could install a few codehacks that deliberatly lags banned users. It will drive him insane and make him leave.

Basically it leaves him as registered (to him at least) however it will take him forever to make posts, view forums, everything

http://www.vbulletin.org
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
      You could install a few codehacks that deliberatly lags banned users. It will drive him insane and make him leave.

Basically it leaves him as registered (to him at least) however it will take him forever to make posts, view forums, everything

http://www.vbulletin.org
      thanks for the reply.... sounds evil but very interesting lol

I found a hack at vbulletin.org which records the true ip address not the proxy. So im just waiting for that user to come back again, then hes in trouble lol :P

Comment

Working...
      X