Offer my users a way to know status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offer my users a way to know status

I have around 125k registered users, and I get an average 150+ emails a day wondering why they cannot post.

I have to look up the account, and then email them back. I really dont want to hire someone just to manage our vbullitin emails.
    It seems it is always One of these options:
    They need to register,
    They need to login
    They are coppa and need approval from parent
    they havnt verified their email address.

Is there a way that I can allow my users to click on a link and get this information? It would be very helpful:
    Cant post? Click here.
    This could read the user that is logged in and return why they cannot log in, It would be nice to also be able to edit the response they get so children will understand. Also, for each answer there should be a way for them to get a new authorization code or COPPA sent to parent's email.

ANy ideas?

use this (or similar) query in your emails:

SELECT user.username, usergroup.title FROM usergroup, user WHERE user.usergroupid=usergroup.usergroupid AND user.userid={x}

Comment

Actually, would like the query to run when the user clicks on the COntact link on the bottom. They could hit contact and it would tell them first why they cannot post, and what they need to do to enable their account, then below that the contact forum (already done).

ALso would be helpful for nopermission error to be custom to the user that is logged in.

I have no idea how to run a query as a user on a hyperlink. Is it possible?

Comment

I also tried this in forum.php + created related templates:

// generate 'logged in as:' box or username and pwd box
        if (!$logincode) {
        $logincode=makelogincode();
        }
        if ($bbuserinfo[userid]==0) {
        eval("standarderror(\"".gettemplate("error_nopermission_loggedout")."\");");
        } else {
        if($bbuserinfo[usergroupid]==3) {
        eval("standarderror(\"".gettemplate("error_nopermission_awaiting_moderation")."\");");
        } else {
        if($bbuserinfo[usergroupid]==4) {
        eval("standarderror(\"".gettemplate("error_nopermission_awaiting_coppa")."\");");
        } else {
        eval("standarderror(\"".gettemplate("error_nopermission_loggedin")."\");");
        }
        }
        exit;
        }

My output was this:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $ in /var/www/htdocs/bbs/admin/functions.php on line 2447

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/htdocs/bbs/admin/functions.php:2447) in /var/www/htdocs/bbs/admin/functions.php on line 1652

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: vbdate() in /var/www/htdocs/bbs/admin/sessions.php on line 400

What am I missing here?

Comment

Hey I figured it out! Now it works great!

I added it to the Hacks DB at vbulletin.org if you want it.

Will tell users why they cannot post when they click on any restricted buttons, and tells them how they can fix it. Offers ways for users to resend activation emails and coppa forms to parents.

Saves me a ton of work! I dont understand why this wasnt already in the forums.
          Last edited by jeepha; Tue 1 Apr '03, 8:11am.

Comment

Working...
          X