Can i do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i do this?

i'm about to give my site a major facelift, but had to make the choice to go to 2.3.0 to solve a server mail problem

before i trashed the 400+ hours of work i did, i had been installing it on a fresh database and making all necessary dbase queries as i went along on my main database, so that importing the new style with all the glorius hacks, would be a simple case of moving files over to the forum directory and i was in business!!

upon making the decision to use 2.3.0, and knowing that i had an extrodinary amount of hacks installed, i chose the option to start from 2.3.0 files, and then hack them all over again.. i don't want to mess things up

here is my question

when i undertook this adventure, i copied all of my current 2.2.8 files into a new directory and worked with a fresh database.. that way all of the things i had previously done still existed in all the php files [removing post count is a lot of work!!]

i have uploaded 2.3.0 fresh [no upgrade to my current files] and i will make all adjustments to those files/template

when i am done, i want to replace all of the 2.2.8 files with the revamped and hacked 2.3.0 files in the forums directory and simply upload the new style and apply it

is there anything that i should be aware of? is this easier than i think? have i just shot my left foot? did you even understand what i meant?

i appreciate your comments... i get a LOT of traffic on my board and i cannot take the chance of being down longer than i have to be
    www.karmicpower.com
    online community of like minded people

be the change you wish to see in the world

You still need to run the approprite upgrade scripts to upgrade the database from 2.2.8 to 2.3.0.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

would you recommend that i use the install script just before i move files/style ?
      www.karmicpower.com

Comment

There's no need to do that unless you need this to create the database.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

they are running on seperate databases at the moment

forums = 2.2.8
          development = 2.3.0

when dev is done i will apply the style/files to forums

as i read this, forums [2.2.8] will need to be upgraded and then development files [2.3.0] moved over

is this correct
          www.karmicpower.com

Comment

If you restore the 2.2.8 database to a forum running 2.3.0 files, then you will need to run the approprite upgrade scripts to upgrade that db to 2.3.0.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

fabulous

thanks for clearing the mud from my eyes
              www.karmicpower.com

Comment

Working...
              X