Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could a huge thread (~ 8000 replys) cause server problems ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could a huge thread (~ 8000 replys) cause server problems ?

Hi all,

I'm really confused about problems concerning my server. I run two vBBs on it, on with a database of about 120 mb, the second just with ~10 mb. Since about 2 weeks we have the following problem:
    If you click the submit button to post a reply / new post / private message or whatever it takes really a long time (about 1 minute) till the post is added. Sometimes you even get a error 404 page. We haven't changed anything at the server settings or anything else during this time, and it worked perfectly some weeks ago.
    To demonstrate, that the problem is obviously NOT based on the server performance check this stats:

1:12pm up 18:10, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.11, 0.09
    112 processes: 105 sleeping, 2 running, 5 zombie, 0 stopped
    CPU states: 7.9% user, 2.3% system, 0.0% nice, 89.6% idle
    Mem: 1021648K av, 540712K used, 480936K free, 0K shr
    Swap: 530136K av, 0K used, 530136K free

I rebootet the server several times, checked the databases with phpMyAdmin etc.. nothing.. still the problems. Well, in one of the boards is a thread with about 8000 replys, could that be the reason for the problem ? If not, any other suggestion ?

kind regards

Is attachment duplicate checking on? Try turning that off.

Comment

attachment file size is limited to 1byte.. therefore no user uploaded any attachment

Comment

hmm 1 byte?
        that would mean it's activated, also.

deactivate it from your acp when you don't use it
        The price of freedom is eternal vigilance!
        - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

obviously I'm a lil blind, haven't found it yet.. looking for that option till months

btw: attachment duplicate checking was deactivated

Any other suggestion ?

Comment

ACP -> User Groups -> Modify -> {a group} -> [edit] -> Posting Permissions:

Can post attachments = NO

Do this for all user groups you do not want to post attachments.

Comment

oh yeah, i allways made it this way.. i thought that their would be another possibility to deactivate it generally..

well.. back to topic.. any suggestions ?

Comment

Turn off email notifications.
                You're my Prince of Peace
                And I will live my life for You

Comment

Turn off dot icons

Comment

dot icons ? what's that ?

mmh.. as mentioned, it's definetly not a problem of the server performance.. I assume something within the database.. could this 8000 reply thing be a reason for the problems ?

Comment

The dot icons indicate a thread in which you have posted.

ACP -> vBulletin Options -> [Forum Display Options] -> Use 'dot' icons? = NO

Enabling this lets users see what threads they have posted in but adds more queries.

The same thing applies with "Use 'hot' icons"

Comment

I'm curious about huge threads' effects on the database too. I know UBB couldn't handle them and long threads would crash, but does a long thread affect performance any more than the same amount of posts dispersed in different threads?

Comment

hmm, from my experinece with some threads over 5k posts it doesn't affect the DB more than the same ammount of posts in different threads.
                          just this single thread is affected if there are too much posts in.
                          The price of freedom is eternal vigilance!
                          - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The problems is most likely due to the large number of email notifications being sent out with a large thread.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X