Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I move my database to another host?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I move my database to another host?

I do not have a shell account at the host I am at but I want to move to another host as the on I am at has had all kinds of problems and down time. Is there a way to do this and can you explain it step by step as I am a newbie at this. I do not want to lose what I have..

TIA

If you do not have a shell account, then the easiest way to do this is to ask your host to make the backup for you.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

i have used DBTools with success, as i do not have shell access either: http://www.dbtools.com.br/EN/

Comment

Another Question

Can I set up on my new server from scratch and then import the database from my other server later. The reason I ask is my current site is down again (the reason we are moving). The last time they went down it was two days before we got back up... If I can import and do - will it screw up my current postings?

Comment

You can import later, but doing so will wipe out any new data since the backup was made.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ya know... I may be moving my vB soon as well.. It would be nice to have some kind of good information about doing this. I don't have any Shell access on ANY of my sites - and I have about 10 of them.. All I have is FTP access.. What are the easiest steps to transferring?

Thanks...
            My vBulletin Forums:
            cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

There is no easy way to backup and restore a database without shell access. if there were we would have included this in our instructions.

Without shell access, the next best opt6ion is to ask your hosts to make and restore the backup for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok I have shell access on my new host but not my current host.

How can I populate my database on my new server with the database from my old?
                http://www.hardwaregeeks.com

Comment

You can ask your old host to make the backup for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

yeah I didn't read the entire thread I just skimmed it sorry for posting whats already been asked.
                    http://www.hardwaregeeks.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X