No announcement yet.

Emergency Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE='tribedude']The vBulletin guy, Martin, before he stopped work last night, tried to go back to the older version of the board software. He uploaded an older version back to the server but apparently it contains someone elses vBulletin config information (probably from the old version he uploaded). We are not motorcylcles philipines nor skywolf. I was notified by a user that they are getting this error message:
    QUOTE]

Dear god..it wasnt a clean config file?

Comment

[QUOTE='Roody']
      Originally posted by tribedude
      The vBulletin guy, Martin, before he stopped work last night, tried to go back to the older version of the board software. He uploaded an older version back to the server but apparently it contains someone elses vBulletin config information (probably from the old version he uploaded). We are not motorcylcles philipines nor skywolf. I was notified by a user that they are getting this error message:
      QUOTE]

Dear god..it wasnt a clean config file?
      My Tech guy has got the server back up. He indicates to me that the crash was probably caused by the installer backing up the db which filled our temp directory. That the backup may have been done using the vB control panel utility instaed of MySql dump (we always use mysqldump).

In any case, here is the dilemma...

We have already paid vB for this installation. My tech guy tells me that from the time stamps on the files the board software has been upgraded to 2.2.9, but the database is still in the old 2.2.4 format.

Can a more senior vBulletin tech person complete this installation for us. I have my tech guy standing by for the next few hours in case there are any questions with respect to our server configuration.

Suffice it to say I am not too pleased with the "professional" vB installation. The first guy who was assigned to this upgrade couldn't even open a sftp connection with our server - the second guy, even though he was nice and everything, half completed the job and crashed our server for over 10 hours.

Please can somebody senior complete this installation while I have my tech guy standing by?

The reason I payed vB for "professional" installation is because this is what I wanted.

Please make it happen.

Comment

Can one of the vBulletin staff please get in touch with [email protected] to tell them we are not responsible for the thousands of error emails that may have shut down their server.

Thanks.

Comment

The two most 'senior' and experienced installers have already worked on this for you. I also doubt that Martin tried to backup your database from the Admin CP. That is not the way we do this.

Since Martin lives in Hawaii he is on a different time zone. He will follow-up just as soon as he is available.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            The two most 'senior' and experienced installers have already worked on this for you. I also doubt that Martin tried to backup your database from the Admin CP. That is not the way we do this.

Since Martin lives in Hawaii he is on a different time zone. He will follow-up just as soon as he is available.
            Can you at least contact the phillipines guys to make sure they are OK?

What time is it in Hawaii now anyway?

I have managed to restore my old board and I am going to put it back up to keep my phone from ringing anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tribedude
              Can you at least contact the phillipines guys to make sure they are OK?

What time is it in Hawaii now anyway?

I have managed to restore my old board and I am going to put it back up to keep my phone from ringing anymore.
              If memory serves me correctly they are 7 hours behind the Eastern Time zone.

Comment

arrrrrgh 2 1/2 hr ADSL outage and now i'm about to log off to bed as well since it's nearly 4 am here

before i go.. here's what you should do (if you can't wait)

this is what i'd do assuming
                A. you have a complete sql backup of your 2.2.4 vB forum and
                B. you have enough mysql data partition free space

1. DO NOT delete current messed up mysql live database
                2. DO NOT delete current php files IIRC at /boards
                3. create new mysql database i.e. newdbname
                4. import vB 2.2.4 sql backup to newdbname via ssh telnet command
                Code:
                mysql -u mysqlusername -p newdbname < /path/to/vb224sqlbackup.sql
                5. download vB 2.3.0 php files and upload them to new directory named /boardsnew i.e. yourdomain.com/boardsnew
                6. edit /boardsnew/admin/config.php with your mysql username/password and set dbname to newdbname
                7. now to upgrade /boardsnew from 2.2.4 to 2.3.0 run these files following the 'next' links on each page until completion

http://your.site/boardsnew/admin/upgrade18.php
                http://your.site/boardsnew/admin/upgrade19.php
                http://your.site/boardsnew/admin/upgrade20.php
                http://your.site/boardsnew/admin/upgrade21.php
                http://your.site/boardsnew/admin/upgrade22.php
                http://your.site/boardsnew/admin/upgrade23.php

8. then in /boardsnew/admin directory delete upgradeXX.php, and install.php files
                9. you should now have 2.3.0 forums running at /boardsnew and while closed go through forum logged in as admin to check if the forum is running okay etc etc
                10. if all is okay rename current messed up /boards directory to /boardsold
                11. then rename /boardsnew to /boards

that's it.... i'd keep your messed up database and php files at /boardsold a little longer until you have all the customisations from old board redone etc and when you feel that the 2.2.4 backup upgrade to 2.3.0 is fully okay, then you can remove the old /boardsold directory and database

if you have any problems, i'm sure Martin or I can help, just update or submit a support ticket

HTH
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

This error was caused by the temp folder not having enough space to handle the database backup. When the temp folder filled, the server shut down PHP and we could not get it to restart. While I did not know it was a full partition at the time, I did let Alex know that the load during the backup likely caused PHP to crash after looking at his logs.

As to how, without PHP, the database was still managing to generate error message, I'm not sure, and I doubt I ever will be.

His server admin managed to repartition to give the temp folder more room to operate, and everything is running fine now.
                  Webmaster:
                  @forumz

Comment

Working...
                  X