Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to backup before I go from 2.2.9 to 2.30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to backup before I go from 2.2.9 to 2.30?

Do i need to do anything to my styles or templates before I upgrade?

Thanks
    (I recently changed the template so I have a left column and no "moderator" column)

No. Your custom templates won't be overwritten.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Steve,
      I did a test upgrade from 2.2.5 to 2.3.0 and I DID lose many changes I did to the template & style.

Right now I'm reapplying those changes manually, once done, I hope I can just dump the the appropriate DB tables and load them when I upgrade to 2.3.0 final so that I don't have to go through it again.

Take care,
      R.L.

Comment

Sorry but there is no way a simple upgrade would overwrite custom templates. It just doesn't work that way.

However it's always advisable to check which templates have change and revert any that have. This is the only way to take advantage of all bug and security fixes.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I wish I can believe you Steve, can you check it yourself? Do you have a copy of 2.2.5?

I'll do it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Comment

Something else must have caused this because the upgrade scripts do not overwrite custom templates.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Actually there is a 'kind of' exemption. If you have a hack such as vBStats - the templates added by this hack will be erased by the upgrade. To restore them you need to run the appropriate script option for that hack.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Since I have 2.2.5 I have to run upgrade19.php, the first screen I get says (Importing new templates ....Done!).

This step erases all of my hard work Steve.

Comment

That merely imports the new master template set. It should not overwrite any standard vB templates that have been customized. I have been upgrading since vB 2.0 beta 3 and never once has this overwritten any custom templates.

If this was happening to everyone then these forums would be full of complaints about this. Sorry but I have no idea what's happening in your case.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok let me tell you what I did:
                    1- I backed up my 2.2.5 DB.
                    2- Created a new DB & subdirectory to test the thing.
                    3- Testing the new 2.2.5, works fine.
                    4- I overwrote all the files in the new directory with 2.3.0RC3 files. I also overwrote vbulletin.style 2.2.5 with 2.3.0RC3, I'm not sure if this would cause a problem.
                    5- Started running the appropriate upgardexx.php scripts.
                    Now again, 90% of the modifications I did to the template were LOST. There were many changes done to "Forum Home Page Templates" & "Forum Display Templates".

Just as an example, in (Forum Display Templates) check the template (forumdisplay_loggedinusers), it's a simple one line thing, but it was replaced by the original one.

Comment

You said you created a 'new DB'. But at what point did you restore the 2.2.5 database?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve, I created a new DB but used (mysql < backup_db_dump) to fill it out. As I mentioned, until this point the new forum is 100% identical to the original, once I run the upgradexx.php scripts all templates goes back to the original.

Comment

Sorry I still don't know what exactly you've done. What you are doing sounds a little backwards to me.

Try this. Copy your vB 2.2.5 files to a test directory. make a backup of the 2.2.5 database then restore it to this test forum. Make sure it functions exactly as the original forums. Then upgrade this according to the instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/upgrade.html

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I've ony had upgrading remove one single template edit from mine, and that was the "shrink old posts in thread" links for "Expand Thread" and "Collapse Thread"
                            "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                            "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                            Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Steve, that's exactly what I did.

Let me list the steps again:
                              1- Created /private subdir then copied all 2.2.5 files to it.
                              2- Created "private" db, filled it out with the current db.
                              3- Testing /private is OK, it's 100% identical to the original forum.

In addition to the steps you mentioned, BEFORE running the upgradexx.php scripts I copied all 2.3.0RC3 php files (& 2.3.0 vbulletin.style)to /private

Is this correct? Or should I copy these files AFTER I finish running the upgradexx.php scripts?

Comment

Working...
                              X