License question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License question

I have a leased license for vB, but here is what I want to do. I want to move my forum over to a new site. I am combining all my sites to make one big network. My question is in the process of moving to a new URL can I setup, restore from backup, and hack my new vB install, while the old one remains running? I do not want to violate any licensing issue, and as soon as I finish the move, I will not advertise the new URL till I take the old one down, until complete.

May I do this please?

Thanks.

Sam

Just put the test site in a directory called 'testvb' and make sure it's not publicly accessible.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

As usual thanks for the quick reply. Well am I allowed to do this, the only reason I'm asking is that there are other 'hacks' and such I wish to install for the new site that doesn't have a friendly 'change user interface' mostly updating and changing config.php files. Can I turn off the board on my old site so its not accessible by anyone, post a new URL in the members section for the new site, and install on the new URL?

I just want the old board as a backup, and if something goes wrong easily able to bring it back online without having to do a restore and retemplate, until I can bring the new one online with no hitches. Once thats done I will erase all traces of the old board. And during this whole time the other board will be 'off'.

I'm sorry if I sound 'stupid' I'm just trying to make it easy on myself, which is pretty selfish, as I just do not want to manually change and up new config.php files when the site goes live, and i have to the change everything to './forum' from './testvb'.

Thanks

Comment

Well technically here's what the license agreement says:

If you have a valid licence, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our licence verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public.
        It should be a big issue to change the direcotyr name to 'testvb'. You don't have to change config.php. Just as long as you are only running one publicly accessible forum you'll be fine.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Working...
        X