Reinstalling vB on the same server...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalling vB on the same server...

Ok...here is the situation. Myself and 2 other guys recently purchased the domain, site, vB license, and everything else for www.all-madden.net

For some reason the old owners had vB installed in a sub directory so that it ran out of www.all-madden.net/madden/

This creates several problems for us. One, it is hard enough for us to learn vB without having to always edit templates and such so that it looks in the right places for things.

We want to do a clean install of vB without losing all the posts and members and all that jazz. We also are no where near brave enough to delete everything and try to do this ourselves as we are all relatively new to vB and the databases and everything else.

So...what we need is a step by step of what we need to do. I also see telnet mentioned on here a lot and I have no idea how to telnet into my site so I would need help with that also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (I just upgraded my license to a permanent one rather than a yearly (or whatever it is now)).

We would really appreciate any help you could give us...
    www.allmaddenfootball.com

What exactly do you want to change? Do you just want to move vBulletin to a different directory on your site? That's fairly simple... just move the vBulletin files to the other directory, and change the forum url in the Admin CP -> Options -> vBulletin Options -> [General Settings] -> Url

Comment

We want to clear the directory (there is lots of stuff in there that we know doesn't belong). Then we want to do a clean install of vB so we have only things on the server that belong there. Then we want to reload all the posts and members and such.

That way as we are learning vB there isn't extra crap floating that we don't need (so we don't try to figure out what it does when it actually serves no purpose).
      www.allmaddenfootball.com

Comment

You can see what files aren't vBulletin files by downloading the vBulletin zip file from the member's area ( http://www.vbulletin.com/members/ ) and looking at what files are there. Then delete any files that aren't vBulletin files.

Comment

I don't suggest doing this without backing up first but:
          you could try getting rid of all the forum files, but keep the config.php file, upload a newer vb and upgrade.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X