No announcement yet.

Username is already in use? What the...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Username is already in use? What the...

My vB forum is fairly new and a friend of mine tried to use a username that doesn't exist on the memberlist, yet she gets the message "Username is already in use. If you are XXXX and you have forgotten your password, click here."

How can this be when the username was never created in the first place? Is this a bug or did I miss something here? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Hiho =)

The memberlist doesn't show the usergroups Not registered, Waiting for eMail confirmation and (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation. (Unsure about the exact names 'cause I have them in German but it should be something like that)
    So you should check in your Admin CP if this user account exists.
    Matze0007
    FilbBoard

Comment

Does it happen whatever username she chooses? If so, she ought to clear out her cookies and try again (you get this problem on many messageboards where something has set a cookie that overwrites the username that you type in)

Comment

This problem may also be due to the user and userfield tables no longer matching. There should be one entry for each user in both tables. You can verify this by using phpMyAdmin to access and view your database. If they don't match then you can use the script posted here to fix the problem:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...984#post248984
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Darkshines: It happens whenever she tries to use the word "jada" in her username. For some unknown reason, it gives her the message saying the username is already taken. To see for myself, I deleted all my cookies, and went to try to create the username she wants and it gives me the same message. Any idea why?

Steve: I've never used phpMyAdmin before, but when I went to phpMyAdmin and clicked on "userfield", and the only thing I can see that matches is this:

Row Statistic : StatementsValueFormatfixed Rows53 Row length ø1,005 Row size ø1,044 Bytes

Any suggestions? If you want me to run the script, how exactly do I run it, exactly? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Go to your Admin CP, to "vBulletin Options", then to "Registration Options". Have you disallowed the username "jada", or anything like "jad", or "ada" or anything?

Comment

Yes!! That worked. I didn't want anyone using my site's abbreviation like "ad", so that must've been it. My bad!!

Thanks, Darkshines!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X