mysql user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mysql user

I am having trouble for a forum that has been runnig fine until we moved to a new server. I got this message from the tech folks at the server. What do I need to do to accomplish this?

The forum configuration is currently set to use the root user with a null (blank) password. For security reasons it's best not to use the mysql root at all for the forum, so I would suggest creating a mysql user, adding it to the database, and then changing your forum software configuration to use that new mysql user.

The error message I am getting from the forum is this

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user: '[email protected]' (Using password: YES) in /home/usartalk/public_html/forum/upload/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40
    psinewe
    Last edited by psinewe; Wed 5 Mar '03, 3:50am.
    Phil

Originally posted by psinewe
    I am having trouble for a forum that has been runnig fine until we moved to a new server. I got this message from the tech folks at the server. What do I need to do to accomplish this?

The forum configuration is currently set to use the root user with a null (blank) password. For security reasons it's best not to use the mysql root at all for the forum, so I would suggest creating a mysql user, adding it to the database, and then changing your forum software configuration to use that new mysql user.

The error message I am getting from the forum is this

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user: '[email protected]' (Using password: YES) in /home/usartalk/public_html/forum/upload/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40
    Sometimes you may be on one server with this name for your db for example "forums" then if you move to a different system your db name after you create the db and add the user to it may be " username_forums"

So check to see that your username and db name match your config file
    Real Web Host

Comment

Ask your host for instructions on creating a new db and db user. Each host is different.
      Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      Last edited by Steve Machol; Wed 5 Mar '03, 7:59am.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Ask your host for instructions on creating a new db and db user. Each host is different.
        I can create the new db and user, how do I change the configuration on the forum?
        Phil

Comment

I can create the new db and user, how do I change the configuration on the forum?
          your.forums/admin/config.php

// username and password to log onto db server
          $dbusername="your db user name";
          $dbpassword="your db password";

// name of database
          $dbname="your db name";

Is that right?

Comment

Can I just open the config file and change those values?

Originally posted by vBR
            your.forums/admin/config.php

// username and password to log onto db server
            $dbusername="your db user name";
            $dbpassword="your db password";

// name of database
            $dbname="your db name";

Is that right?
            Phil

Comment

Can I just open the config file and change those values?
              I think that is what you have to do.

Comment

Different view of this.

OK, lets look at this another way. Here is tyhe forum error message I get. Whta is the opinon on this?

P,BODY{FONT-FAMILY:tahoma,arial,sans-serif;FONT-SIZE:11px;}
                Phil

Comment

It looks like you haven't edited config.php with the new db user, etc.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Can't seem to find in a search

It looks like you haven't edited config.php with the new db user, etc.
                    I've looked and can't find so far, hate to ask, but what are the steps for changing the config file in an existing forum?
                    Phil

Comment

It's in your admin directory. Open the file with a text editor and make the changes.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Still no luck

It's in your admin directory. Open the file with a text editor and make the changes.
                        Hi Steve, OK, best I can tell that is done (editing the config file), but I am still getting the message error. I have several other forums that moved to this new server and I am not having trouble with them. A couple of questions.

1: This involved an IP change, is it possible that becuase of dns propogation over the net that I need to wait for this to resolve? I don't think this is likely, they are appear to be on the new ip now.

2: What is your opinion of this message from the server support folks? Quote

3: I do not need to run anything to make the config change take effect?
                        Phil

Comment

Did you update

// hostname or ip of server
                          $servername="your server's name or IP";

Comment

Originally posted by vBR
                            Did you update

// hostname or ip of server
                            $servername="your server's name or IP";
                            Yes, I believe I have, but this may be a deeper issue than this.

Here is what I am finding as I look more into this. I have about 4 forums running, they all have different user names. However, when I log into the forum admin area, I always use the same login, for all the forums (same login on for all the them)

Looking at the config file for each forum, they all seem to have the correct individual log in, but not the main one I am using. The question them becomes, do I have something set up wrong at a higher level.
                            Phil

Comment

I hope you have four licenses - one for each of these forums.

Fill out a support ticket at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/support_form.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X