All My VB Email Being Rejected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All My VB Email Being Rejected

I've been trying to get a problem with email sorted for a while now. About 10% of VB generated email (notifications, activations, etc) were getting returned by the end users because they contained permanent errors or bare linefeeds due to incorrect formatting of emails by vbulletin.

But now the problem has got MUCH worse. Last week my ISP that hosts my site enforced that all email, inbound or outbound, must be RFC822 compliant. All the mail generated by my site is relayed through their mail servers. Since they enforced this ALL VB email has been rejected due to bare SMTP linefeed problems.

This is obviously causing serious issues for the community I run.

I have searched the forum here and can see that Vbulletin's mail formatting and RFC822 compliance is pretty sloppy from the comments. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

My site runs on a W2K server with version 2.2.8 of vBulletin. To make matters worse on W2K the reply-to header is set to the default email address configured in php.ini which if email gets rejected is returned to this address and not the webmaster address in vbulletin. Loads of ISP's seem to be tightening up on mail formats.

I wonder how many vBulletin users are experiencing the same problem as me are not even aware of it because they do not see rejected emails???

I really need to get this problem fixed asap. Can anyone help please???

Thanks,

Rach.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html

Some message systems may store messages in formats that
    differ from the one specified in this standard. This specifica-
    tion is intended strictly as a definition of what message content
    format is to be passed BETWEEN hosts.

Note: This standard is NOT intended to dictate the internal for-
    mats used by sites, the specific message system features
    that they are expected to support, or any of the charac-
    teristics of user interface programs that create or read
    messages.

A distinction should be made between what the specification
    REQUIRES and what it ALLOWS. Messages can be made complex and
    rich with formally-structured components of information or can be
    kept small and simple, with a minimum of such information. Also,
    the standard simplifies the interpretation of differing visual
    formats in messages; only the visual aspect of a message is
    affected and not the interpretation of information within it.
    Implementors may choose to retain such visual distinctions.
    vBulletin isn't required to change, it is a decision of your host, my advice is to change to a different hosting provider (linux!)

Comment

xiphoid,

I'm afraid I don't see where that helps. This is about conversations between hosts and not internal ones.

Further reading of RFC822 defines the format of SMTP headers as:

field = field-name ":" [ field-body ] CRLF
      That is what my ISP has implemented. Even if they didn't there are an awful lot of mail servers out there that do and they keep rejecting my vb emails.

Just to re-enforce the point I have set-up a test system here with my own mail server. When emails are generated from my vb server I see these entries in my mail server logs:

[04/Mar/2003 21:14:32] Illegal line end (LF) in SMTP DATA converted to CRLF (from <[email protected]>)

Comment

Can any of the vBulletin support staff help please?

Comment

I would if I understood the problem or had an answer. As it is, this is the first time I've heard of a host making this requirement and I have no idea what we can do to comply with it. Sorry.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            I would if I understood the problem or had an answer. As it is, this is the first time I've heard of a host making this requirement and I have no idea what we can do to comply with it. Sorry.
            Hi Steve,

The problem is because vBulletin is sending notification emails that contain bare linefeeds in the SMTP headers. If you search for bare, linefeeds or rfc822 on this board you will find a lot of people complaining about this and even vbulletin staff accepting it is a problem with vbulletin.

RFC822 states that all SMTP headers should be terminated with a CRLF. vbulletin terminates with just a LF. My ISP is now rejecting all non-compliant RFC822 email which means all emails from vbulletin. Whilst it is frustrating that they have done this, it is vbulletin's lack of adherence to standards that is causing the problem.

I don't mind updating the vbulletin code that forms the SMTP message, but can someone tell me where it is?

Rach

Comment

I must be stupid but I can't find a post by a staff member about this. Could you please provide this link?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve

First one I found, http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=bare+linefeed

Comment

That was almost two years ago and was for a very old version of the software. However it did provide me with a clue. Are you on a Windows server by any chance? If so, backup your database, then run this MySQL query in phpMyAdmin:

UPDATE template SET template = REPLACE(template, "\n", "\r\n");

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    That was almost two years ago and was for a very old version of the software. However it did provide me with a clue. Are you on a Windows server by any chance? If so, backup your database, then run this MySQL query in phpMyAdmin:

UPDATE template SET template = REPLACE(template, "\n", "\r\n" );
                    Will give it a go. I'll make sure my dbase is WELL backed up though

Comment

Steve

Guess what!! Looks like it is fixed. Many thanks for that .

Rach

Comment

Glad to hear it. It was just a matter of connecting the dots.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
                        X