How do I link from new topics to home page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I link from new topics to home page

I see a lot of forums with home pages that show newest and hottest topics etc. Is there a thread for this? I can't find it. Please somebody take pity on me! :wink: Thanks

You just have to query x threads from the table thread with the newest replies and display them on the homepage if I understand you correctly.
    But of course exclude private forums from that list .

Comment

Originally posted by Icheb
      You just have to query x threads from the table thread with the newest replies and display them on the homepage if I understand you correctly.
      But of course exclude private forums from that list .
      That is what I mean...but how do I do the query??? Thanks!

Comment

I have the same system on my webpage and I use something similar to this query:

PHP Code:
        SELECT threadidtitle FROM thread WHERE forumid!='x' AND visible='1' ORDER BY lastpost DESC LIMIT 5 
        Replace x with the forumid of the forum where thread titles shall not be displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Icheb
          I have the same system on my webpage and I use something similar to this query:

PHP Code:
          SELECT threadidtitle FROM thread WHERE forumid!='x' AND visible='1' ORDER BY lastpost DESC LIMIT 5 
          Replace x with the forumid of the forum where thread titles shall not be displayed.
          Was the word 'not' a typo?

Thanks - that's kind of what I meant. I'd like something like:

How do I get threadid? I just want to list the newest & most active such as:

Todays 5 newest topics
          list 5 threads

Today's 5 most active topics
          list 5 threads most active in last 24 hours

Also I'd like to put who's online on the homepage - but I can't find the link to that.

Thanks again. Please be patient - I'm very new at this. And I'm determined to learn to do this by myself so I don't have to depend on anybody else.

Added: would you mind showing your URL? Thanks
          Last edited by SusanD; Fri 28 Feb '03, 2:37pm.

Comment

You do not want the threads from your private forums to be displayed, do you? You get the idea.

And my query will give you the 5 threads with the newest replies.

PHP Code:
            SELECT threadidtitle FROM thread WHERE forumid!='x' AND visible='1' ORDER BY dateline DESC LIMIT 5 
            This will give you the 5 newest threads.

Your idea of today's 5 most active threads would be very resource intensive. The query would have to go through every post and check if it has been made within the last 24 hours, then store this information and output the 5 threads with the most replies in the last day.

And to your Who's Online idea:
            PHP Code:
            SELECT user.username FROM session,user WHERE session.userid=user.userid ORDER BY user.username 
            My URLs? Just click on WWW right below my posts. You can see the 5 threads with the newest replies in the top right corner.

Comment

Thanks that's what I wanted.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X