forums on homepage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forums on homepage

I have a quick question. Does adding more forums on the vb homepage add extra queries or increase load substantially on the server?

You can turn debug modus on in the config.php file and run the page.php with &explain=1 and find out yourself!

Comment

Excellent thanks. I never knew that existed. It doesn't seem to add any queries. We do have a maaaaaaaaaaaaaasive 83 queries on the homepage though. Any ideas where this code comes from? It makes up the bulk of the queries.

SELECT template FROM template WHERE title='forumhome_forumbit_level3_post' AND (templatesetid=-1 OR templatesetid=8) ORDER BY templatesetid DESC LIMIT 1

It appears over and over again on that index.php?explain page! Ouch!

Comment

level3 is probably from a hack since vb2 only does up to level 2.. anyway, they are probably not cached templates, so that is a query for each one.

Comment

The code is not referenced in any hacks we have installed. Shouldn't that query show up in index.php? I can't find it in any of the scripts.

Comment

I've found the offending code:

Line 989 in unmodded vb229 (/admin/functions.php):
            $gettemp=$DB_site-> blah......

What does this do?

I changed to: $gettemp=""; and ran the debug and explain and queries were down to 16.

Comment

Forum Home Page Templates [expand]
              forumhome [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_birthdaybit [change original]
              forumhome_forumbit_level1_nopost [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_forumbit_level1_post [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_forumbit_level2_nopost [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_forumbit_level2_post [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_lastpostby [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_loggedinuser [change original]
              forumhome_loggedinusers [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_logincode [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_logoutcode [change original]
              forumhome_moderator [change original]
              forumhome_newposts [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_pmloggedin [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_todayposts [change original]
              forumhome_unregmessage [edit] [revert to original] [view original]
              forumhome_welcometext [edit] [revert to original] [view original]

Seriously, no level3 there, it really goes up to 2,
              what is the URL to your site, so I can have a look ?

Comment

Yep I know I checked this before even posting. There's no level3 in any of my templates or hack installations either.

So I can't understand why this level3 variable is being requested in admin functions as detailed on line 989 above.

Maybe it's safe just to $gettemp =""; that line since it solves the problem. But I'm not leaving it that way until a developer tells me it doesn't compromise security or break an important function.

Comment

ACP -> vBulletin Options -> [Forums Home Page Options] -> Depth of Forums = ?

What is this set to?
                  Do you have subforums?

Your forums may be trying to display subforums where templates do not exist to do so.
                  Last edited by vBR; Sun 23 Feb '03, 3:34pm.

Comment

It's set to three.

Comment

Originally posted by c0bra
                      It's set to three.
                      Try setting it to 2

Comment

Changed to 2 and that's solved it. Nice one vBR I owe you a beer.

Comment

Should be interesting to see how our server behaves now. I've paid for three expensive upgrades to increase performance and saw little benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by c0bra
                            Changed to 2 and that's solved it. Nice one vBR I owe you a beer.
                            Glad to be able to help.
                            What's your query count now?

Comment

17 baby!!!!!!! Just a small reduction from the 83 it was originally serving up.

Comment

Working...
                              X