Installation Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation Help

I just purchased Vbulletin and am considering the paid installation service. If I go this route, is it possible to have tech support phone me to explain the procedure, so I am able to make future updates and modifications. This is a brand new board so it would be a fresh install and I lease a virtual private server that will be hosting the site.

Thank you,
    Robert

The paid installation service is done throgh FTP. You just supply all the server and database details and we handle it from their. No telephone support is availble.

You can always first try installing the software yourself and if you find out it's too difficult then you can order the installation later.

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/install.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve,

Thank you for the quick response.

I am a little concearned about FTP practices. Now don't laugh, but I have not used an FTP program, since I have always relied on MS Frontpage for uploading & maintaing my web site.

Can I perform this installation within frontpage?

Thank you

Comment

I'm not familiar with Frontpage so I don't really know. If it allows you to upload unmodified files to the server then I belive it should work.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ok, I am going to try this installation.

I have a couple of questions related to the config.php file.

1. The actual file is named "config.php.new" after editing the file should I rename it to "config.php" or leave it as is?

2. The file asks for a "username and password to log onto db server". Do I enter my root server access username & PW or do I enter the username & PW to access the account for that particular domain.

3.The following section of code is not covered in the instructions:

// separate each userid with a comma
          $canviewadminlog = "1";
          // which users are allowed to prune the admin log
          $canpruneadminlog = "";
          ?>e to enter users

Thank You,

Comment

1. Copy config.php.new to config.php, then edit this as necessary.

2. You should use your database username and password. You could use the MySQL root but i don't recommend this.

3. What's the question?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve,

When you say db username & PW are you refering to a username & PW that I would like to use to access my Vbulletin db (so I can choose a name & PW as opposed to using something I already have on my server)

Question #3 I'm not sure what to enter for this section?

Comment

I will install it for you if you give me $20, rofl, if I am allowed too..

Q#3,

$canviewadminlog = "1";
                // which users are allowed to prune the admin log
                $canpruneadminlog = "";
                ?>e to enter users

You enter the userID's of the adminstrators who can View Admin Log and Prune(Delete) Them. Usually if your the only head admin and are installing it, then enter just 1.

Comment

Originally posted by pifemaster
                  Steve,

When you say db username & PW are you refering to a username & PW that I would like to use to access my Vbulletin db (so I can choose a name & PW as opposed to using something I already have on my server)
                  db username & PW are not the username and PW that you would like to access your vb db, it is the database username and PW, to access the database so vBulletin can create the necessary tables and stuff. You have to ask the server admin if you have MySQL databases and how can you access them, such as using phpmyadmin.

Comment

OK I just have to know is that $20.00 Beer money or Rent.

Actually I just figured it out & have it up & running. Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of that ugly PURPLE.

Comment

Working...
                    X