View New Posts prob after 2.2.9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View New Posts prob after 2.2.9?

I'm unable to replicate this myself, but ever since I upgraded to 2.2.9, people have complained that 'View New Posts' will return no results after they havent logged in for a day. I myself tried 3 different computers, every browser in existance, and cannot for the life of me replicate it, but there are a few people saying it exists but never complained before the upgrade.

The forum is:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com

Any ideas?

Find out what browsers they are using and if they are running any software that blocks cookies or restricts web access in any way. Since it doesn't happen to everyone, it's more likely a problem on their end.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Find out what browsers they are using and if they are running any software that blocks cookies or restricts web access in any way. Since it doesn't happen to everyone, it's more likely a problem on their end.
      That's what my guess is as well, but the only odd factor was that it only started after the upgrade. It apparantly happens with a couple different browsers, some are using opera, some IE, some were netscape.

Comment

You could also ask them to manually delete their cookies to see if this helps.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

A couple tried it, no luck.

Comment

Then it's something on their computers.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Anyone have any other ideas? Unfortunately the client side answer gets invalidated because the problem didnt exist pre-upgrade and they've changed nothing since the upgrade. These are users that have been on the forum for a while as well.

Comment

Did you make any changes to the board settings - in particular the Cookie Domain and Path to cookies? If that's not it then I can't think of a single reason why upgrading would cause this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok... now I've upgraded another forum I manage to 2.3.0, and the problem started occuring here as well!!

It ran fine for 2 and a half years, and never had a single problem UNTIL I upgraded. What's going on?

I'm all about giving the benefit of the doubt to the software, but this is twice now I've upgraded and had this problem. NO OTHER changes were made except for this upgrade.

Comment

Perhaps your computer is blocking some javascript or something else that is new in vB 2.3.0.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

It happens to everyone on the board, but at random and not consistently. NEVER happened before the upgrade.

Comment

Sorry but I am not skilled enough to troubleshoot a problem that occurs to everyone randomly and not consistently. As I stated earlier I no of no possible causes of this.

Are both of these forums on the same server? Perhaps this is server related.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Unfortunately not all on one server.

Thanks for looking anyway, I'll clean the only hack off and submit a trouble ticket shortly. (It's just a hack to list moderators in a drop down box instead of across the screen )

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X