X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forum - http://www.modestolan.com/vb/
    phpinfo - http://www.modestolan.com/vb/phpinfo.php
    mysqlstatus - http://www.modestolan.com/vb/mysqlstatus.php

I help run this forum for my LAN group. Our server guy recently moved the site over to a new drive on the server, and manually copied the mysql files over (not with mysqldump). Everything is working fine except user uploaded avatars and post attachments aren't showing. New attachments and avatars aren't showing either... they are just broken image links.

Everything looks fine in phpmyadmin. repair.php reported errors in the attachment table the first time I ran it. When I ran it again it said it changed the number of rows in the attachment table, after which the errors were gone.

http://www.modestolan.com/vb/avatar....line=996000563

When you go there you see the avatar, but it is the opposite of what it should be

Comment

That's interesting... it's like the data is being misinterpreted.

Comment

Sounds more like a server issue rather then a vBulletin issue. Open up a .gif file and read out how it looks, this is the same way done. But obviously, it is wrong in the database, not on the hard drive, since the normal .gif's do appear on your forum. I would suggest you make a backup of those wrongly databases (only those tables I mean) and import those manually in the new database. Bet it might work.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
          Sounds more like a server issue rather then a vBulletin issue. Open up a .gif file and read out how it looks, this is the same way done. But obviously, it is wrong in the database, not on the hard drive, since the normal .gif's do appear on your forum. I would suggest you make a backup of those wrongly databases (only those tables I mean) and import those manually in the new database. Bet it might work.
          The server guy has the old hard drive with the working site on it. He tried recopying the customavatar and attachment tables, same problem. Then he tried hooking up the old drive as is, same problem (it was working before he moved everything).

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
            The server guy has the old hard drive with the working site on it. He tried recopying the customavatar and attachment tables, same problem. Then he tried hooking up the old drive as is, same problem (it was working before he moved everything).
            1. did he first time move the actual mysql data files while mysql was running or while mysql was shutdown ?

2. how large is the attachment and customavatar tables originally ?

3. do you have a back up of your entire forum prior to this move ? and how was this backup created mysqldump? or manual copying data files ?

4. how did he recopy the customavatar and attachment tables ... same way as the first time ?

5. can you post the old server's phpinfo ? or is that no longer available ?
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
              3. do you have a back up of your entire forum prior to this move ? and how was this backup created mysqldump? or manual copying data files ?
              By JakeMan
              and manually copied the mysql files over (not with mysqldump).

(extra:I just found a bug in vb3!!!!)

Comment

1. did he first time move the actual mysql data files while mysql was running or while mysql was shutdown ?

2. how large is the attachment and customavatar tables originally ?

4. how did he recopy the customavatar and attachment tables ... same way as the first time ?

5. can you post the old server's phpinfo ? or is that no longer available ?
                1) The database was shut down. The old drive was slaved and the system was booted from the new one, and the new mysql server was down while I copied the files. I've moved other databases this way, although not as complex as vb. *ONLY* thing that seems to be suffering is images that are from attachments and custom avatars.

2) Attachments was ~65mb, customavatar was about 624k.

3) No backup, just the original version unmodified on the old hard drive, which when I plug in and run the server from that, it displays these problems as well. It didn't before I did the transfer, and I can't imagine why this is happening.

4) Yep. No go.

5) I can do that later tonight.

I used phpmyadmin to look at the contents of some random avatars and attachments, and the contents from phpmyadmin is different than what vbulletin sends me when I directly access the url. Phpmyadmin's, the one in the actual db, looks like the valid one.

Still... would mysql be unhappy at just a directory-tree copy of the databases? Has this been known to happen in your experience?

Comment

did you make sure after you moved data files to chmod and chown them to the correct user and group permissions and groups ?
                  :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                  :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                  :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

did you make sure after you moved data files to chmod and chown them to the correct user and group permissions and groups ?
                    Yep. That was one of the first things. If I hadn't done that, mysql wouldn't have been able to read them at all and the problem would have been more of a showstopper (although far less subtle to figure out how to fix).

Comment

I'm having a really similar problem too... except part of the attachment will load up. So i get half an image, or half a text document. If i point my browser to the url of an old attachment presvious put on the database though, it works fine - which leads me to think its happening in the upload process.

hrmm.. whats going on here
                      Cons

Comment

Ok, that is weird. Unless Jakeman did something tonight without telling me before he went to sleep, our forums just mysteriously started showing the custom avatars and attached images again.

Comment

Originally posted by XWRed1
                          Ok, that is weird. Unless Jakeman did something tonight without telling me before he went to sleep, our forums just mysteriously started showing the custom avatars and attached images again.
                          All our positive thinking to get this to work resolved in the mysterious solution.

Comment

wasn't me.

... cool!

Comment