Possible hacker or virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible hacker or virus?

Hi, I'm Reba, admin for www.council-of-elrond.com site, and lately we've had a few threads mysteriously disappear from our forums and we can't figure out where why or how.

It seems mostly random, from different forums. The other day we moved to a new server host, and only lost a few threads/posts during the nameserver propagagtion. But *after* the move is when other things started disappearing.

We can't find anything in the vb control panel that maybe one of our users has hacked in and set themselves up as admin or mod (I've checked all possible user groups, but not all users), so if its a hacker they may be getting in a back door somehow. If its a virus, its a weird one!

Any suggestions?

One possible cause could be that in control panel, users have the right to delete a thread which they started themself.

:cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:

Comment

Check your User Group and Forum Permissions to make sure that regular users cannot delete threads they've started.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Check your User Group and Forum Permissions to make sure that regular users cannot delete threads they've started.
        our members do have access to delete their own threads, but these were not deleted by the thread originators, or admins or moderators.

Comment

How do you know they weren't deleted by a Mod or someone who has the Mod's password? I am pretty certain that there is no virus or bug that will randomly delete threads.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            How do you know they weren't deleted by a Mod or someone who has the Mod's password? I am pretty certain that there is no virus or bug that will randomly delete threads.
            we have procedures in place that any edits done by moderators are noted in a hidden forum, and none of the mods have deleted anything.

Comment

Sorry but I know of no way that posts would be deleted randomly. AFAIK posts need to be actively deleted.

One thing to check is the 'View Posts Queue' option in the Admin Options box. Perhaps someone changed the 'Show Thread' option to 'No.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
              X