Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am being accused of having an illegal copy of vBulletin?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am being accused of having an illegal copy of vBulletin?!

Hi,

I just got an e-mail from someone who knows a developer here and they have just told me that I am hosting an illegal copy of vBulletin. I would like to know why have I been accused of this when I actually own a licence for my forum.

I paid £160 to buy the licence outright, so it isn't a leased board. Could somebody look into this for me, because I am concerned that someone over at Jelsoft is going to take down my board even though I have paid.

My domain name is www.hiphopulation.com, but I have another domain that links the forum, which is www.y2hiphop.com.

If somebody could e-mail me back at [email protected] to explain this, I would very much appreciate it. I only host the board on ONE server, so I don't believe that I have broken any rules.

Thank you.

Ian

This is where Jelsoft have got confused:

my domain name is www.hiphopulation.com, but I have another domain that links the forum, which is www.y2hiphop.com.
    The problem is that they don't know that. One of those domains are not licenced, i know that one will only forward to the other but that is the problem.

Comment

just give them an email explaining the situation.

I even got a email from them once for same situation, i had *.domain.com pointing to the forums.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Maybe the backend can be updated to show extra input fields so users can enter 'other domains pointing to this licenced domain'.

Page 1: Your main forum URL [_________] (update)
        Page 1: More domains that point to the main forum url: (setup)

Page 2: -- list of previously added urls
        Page 2: Enter another domain that points to the main forum (url here): [__________] (update)

Comment

So what if another site is linking to my forum, would that be classed as illegal... that's what i'm doing at the moment, linking to my other domain, which is www.hiphopulation.com.

www.y2hiphop.com is it's own site, it isn't actually a redirect, it's just a link.

I will have to e-mail C Services when I get home tonight then, but it would have been nice to have received an e-mail about this.

Comment

The simplest and fastest way to deal with this is to send this explanation to the addresses on the email you received.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Just wanted to mention, be sure the e-mail is from *@vbulletin.com if you're sending your license information.
              HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
              Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
              iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
              VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

sending license numbers is fine as well as the customer number but we will NEVER ask you for your customer password.

Bottom of license agreement.
                Please be aware that we subcontract our anti-piracy measures to Legal Research Associates. They may contact you to clarify your license legality, and will use an email address @vbulletin.com , @lra.com or @nukepirates.com .
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X