Cookie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookie Question

If I were to lengthen the cookie timeout time, would it also lengthen the time a user shows up in the users online? The reason for my question is that I want for my users to be able to view the new posts since last visit for as long as they want to until they mark all posts read. There are countless times that I will come to the site for a little bit, glance at the new posts, and not have time to answer the ones that I want to. When I come back 40 minutes later, when I have the time, my view new posts search is empty. The thing is that I don't want the amount of time that it takes users to drop off the currently active users to be affected. Am I making any sense? Thanks in advance. JakeC
    Jake Crause
    www.homebuiltairplanes.com

15 minute cookie timeout = online list shows users from the last 15 minutes

1 hour cookie timeout = online list shows users from the last hour.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeC
      If I were to lengthen the cookie timeout time, would it also lengthen the time a user shows up in the users online?
      Yes.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Yes.
        I don't suppose there would be a way to make the new posts feature not related to cookies is there. That way the new posts would accumulate until they cleared them by marking all posts read? I'm not even sure I want to do this but I don't want the board showing a bunch of people on the board when they are not really even active. And yet I don't want if I go to the bathroom to come back and have all of my posts marked read for me. Any ideas?

JakeC
        Jake Crause
        www.homebuiltairplanes.com

Comment

Nope, I've got no ideas on how to do this or even if such a thing is possible or feasible. This is a question for the Developers.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X