Reg email not being sent to some users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reg email not being sent to some users

I've posted about this three or four times before, and it is becoming a serious problem for me.

Randomly, it seems, users that register do not receive their activation email. I would estimate this at about 25%. There seems no logic to it. No email addresses or domains or ips are banned.

Can anybody suggest something to rectify this. Nobody has ever answered this query before.

If not, is there somebody behind the scenes that i can write to?

Thank you for your time.

Hmmm...I've answered this same question hundreds of times. What's the URL to a post that was never answered?

Since some email is working, you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks a mill Steve,

I'd have to search for unanswered posts, but i do have email notification on!

How do i view the mail logs? Can this be done at my end? Or do i put it in the hands of the host?

For the record, as i said, the problems are totally random. I don't seem to have a problem with web-based accounts, funnily enough, but in some cases the user writes not long after registering, and a full inbox is not the problem with them.

Comment

Unless you are on a dedicated server, you will need to ask your host to look at the mail logs.

As for the randomness - this is normal. As I said hotmail and yahoo accounts often bounce due to 'mailbox unavailable' or quota limits. These are transitory conditions. I also see a lot of unexplained bounced emails to msn.com accounts.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X