Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limit posting privilage by forum but all can view?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit posting privilage by forum but all can view?

Hi all,

I need to create a forum that all guests/registered users can view, but I want to limit posting priviliages to only those users who have paid for the privilage. I can't see a way of doing this via the control panel. Can anyone help? Basically it will be a forum where paying sponsors can post items and services, which anyone can view (guest or registered users), but I don't want anyone to be able to post/reply to the forum unless they have paid.

Thanks,

Create a new user group for those who have paid.
    As users pay, move them into this group.

Give other groups that are not to post lower permissions.
    ACP -> User Groups -> Forum Permissions -> 'a forum' -> 'a group' -> [edit]...
    Can post new threads = No
    Can reply to other's threads = No

Comment

Gracias!

-RC

Originally posted by vBR
      Create a new user group for those who have paid.
      As users pay, move them into this group.

Give other groups that are not to post lower permissions.
      ACP -> User Groups -> Forum Permissions -> 'a forum' -> 'a group' -> [edit]...
      Can post new threads = No
      Can reply to other's threads = No

Comment

Okay, I did this, but EVERYONE can post to the forum, including regular registered users. I checked their permissions for the forum and it shows as not able to post or reply, but for some reason they can...any ideas here?

thanks,

Comment

If the permissions are set correctly then they shouldn't be able to post. Are you sure you clicked on the radio button for 'Use custom settings'?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            If the permissions are set correctly then they shouldn't be able to post. Are you sure you clicked on the radio button for 'Use custom settings'?
            Absolutely, the use custom settings option is selected. We are on build 2.2.2

Comment

Hmmmm...as I said this should not happen if you have the permissions set correctly. Have you installed any hacks or modified the vB files in any way?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hmmmm...as I said this should not happen if you have the permissions set correctly. Have you installed any hacks or modified the vB files in any way?
                Not that I know of, and i'm the one who installed and maintains the board. I sent you the URL in another post .

Thanks,

Comment

Fill out a support ticket at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/support_form.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP.

Note that you may be asked to upgrade to the latest version of vB since there are numerous bug and security fixes since 2.2.2.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Fill out a support ticket at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/support_form.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP.

Note that you may be asked to upgrade to the latest version of vB since there are numerous bug and security fixes since 2.2.2.
                    I have no problems upgrading and need to do so, but is it fairly painless? Our board has been customized in terms of appearance and i don't want to lose that.

Thanks!

Comment

Upgrading won't change any of your customized colors and templates, although you should probably revert any templates that have changed since 2.2.2 to take full advantage of any bug and security fixes. The changed templates are listed in each of the version announcements in the Announcements forum.

Upgrade instructions are available here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/upgrade.html

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
                      X