• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn of Post Counts

can I do this?

Originally posted by urth
    can I do this?
    It is done on a forum by forum basis. Simply set Count Posts to no.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      It is done on a forum by forum basis. Simply set Count Posts to no.
      right, but how do I make it so it isn't viewable?

Comment

Originally posted by urth
        right, but how do I make it so it isn't viewable?
        That requires editing the forumdisplay templates to remove this column.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

in your postbit template remove this

Comment

I personally think, that in vb3.0 there should be a option in the admin cp to turn off and on post count, when you turn it off, in the postbit, or anywhere else, the Posts: $post[posts] doesn't appear.

Comment

You'll need to get rid of post counts in far more places than the postbit template if you want to completely disable them. One forum I visit had so many problems making them not viewable that they eventually hacked the board to make it so posting never increased anyone's post count, then reset everyone's post counts to zero. I'm sure they could have set all the forums to "don't increase post count," but that would have been tedious.

Even that doesn't completely remove the problem, though, since you can still do a search for people's posts and see how many posts of theirs are still viewable in the database. You could theoretically remove the numbers from the search, but that'd be rather impractical, and people could still do the math on their own.

As I see it, the only real reason to remove post counts from a forum is if people get too obsessed with theirs, but you could always talk to the people who obsessed over their post count and tell them to cease doing so, and if they continued spamming to raise their post counts, you could ban them. Personally, I like post counts, even if they're useless as a measure of how worthwhile your contributions to the forum have been. It's something fun to keep track of over time.
              Fool's Gold: Discussion of rock 'n' roll, movies, A Song of Ice and Fire, Discworld, The Wheel of Time, The Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, literature, games, and more. It's ace.

Last.FM * LiveJournal

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X