Merging 2 versions of mysql DB...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging 2 versions of mysql DB...

Hi, well my host decided to move all my sites to a new server...the move was pretty rough on my sites including my most important site forum-forum.com

What happened was, I had to have the DNS information changed...and while the info was propogating users posted on the *old* copy of my forums....then once it was updated...the *new* copy of my forums was there without the information from the old. This caused me to lose 3 new members I had recieved and about 50 or so posts. Since my community is still small, this is actually a significant issue.

After working with my host, the best I could do is get a dump of the *old* forums before the move. So I have a file forumforum.sql and I dont really know what to do with it, or how to go about possibly merging it with the current database. Is there a way I can combine the two? so I dont lose information from either one...because if i just revert back to the origional copy, I will lose more posts and members...what should I do?

I'm hoping there is a way to combine both, like, if theres new information add it, if there isnt..leave it alone sort of thing?

Anyways if this isnt possible, how do I restore my forums from a *.sql file? I have phpmyadmin to use btw, in case I need to.

Thanks in advance,

-nocturnix
    Gaming Forums: Necrotalk.com | TorBoard.com NEW!

Unfortunately there is no way to merge those databases. You need to choose one or the other. To restore a backup see Step Three here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

There is no vB to vB import script or "merge" tool. You will have to choose one and go with it.

Next time you move, you should close your old forums and setup a redirection to your new server's IP while the domain propogates.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
        There is no vB to vB import script or "merge" tool. You will have to choose one and go with it.

Next time you move, you should close your old forums and setup a redirection to your new server's IP while the domain propogates.
        Yes, I read about this AFTER I lost 3 users heheh...grrrr...wish my host had told me...oh well.
        Gaming Forums: Necrotalk.com | TorBoard.com NEW!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X