Horrible Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Problem

I just put up a vBulletin for use on a mass level for my company. Unfortunately though something has gone wrong. From my office home and a couple other test locations I can post fine. However, some of the people attempting to access the board are not being able to post and they are not staying logged in. I have talked to a couple of these people and seems that their cookie settings are just fine and have them enabled.

I REALLY need to get this up and running as I have nearly 1500 registrants waiting to register.

Does anyone have any idea on specific setting to check and are their any compatibility issues with an AOL launched browser (believe it's netscape) or with cookies.

If anyone can help fix this it would be greatly appreciated. I would have to fix this on about 20 users at this point so hopefully it is easy.

Thanks in advance

Anthony Anderson
    The HomeMaker's Idea Company
    Network Administrator

Yes, there are reported issues with the AOL browser. If you are not running version 2.2.9 then I suggest you upgrade to this version to see if this helps. Otherwise you can have them try changing their user setting for:

- Automatic login
    - Browse the board with cookies

...to see if they find a combination that works for them. If not, then ask them to use a non-AOL browser
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

i'm sorry it wasn't meant as an AOL only question....it is happening on AOL and non-AOL accounts.....

they are all have the options "browse the board with cookies" and "Automatic login" selected.....

i am also on 2.2.9 already

please help

Comment

What browsers are they using?
        Do they use firewall or ad blocking software?
        Are there browsers configured to allow cookies?
        What are their ISPs?
        What are the settings for 'Cookie Domain' and 'Path to save cookies? Did you make any changes to these settings?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

They are mostly all using IE and some Netscape, and a handful of webTV(not many).

To my knowledge none are behind a firewall and none of them have ad-blocking software.

The few I have talked to have said their browsers have been configured for cookies.

I don't know the ISPs, besides AOL, because many are in very country areas, and use local ISPs.

I don't know about the settings.....I don't believe I mad any changes.

Comment

Hmmm...it's not possible to troubleshoot this problem based on this info. Can you at least answer this:

What are the settings for 'Cookie Domain' and 'Path to save cookies'? Did you make any changes to these settings?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              Hmmm...it's not possible to troubleshoot this problem based on this info. Can you at least answer this:
              checking now...where is that located at?

Comment

cookie domain is blank and path is '\'

Comment

And have you made any changes to this at all?

The only other suggestions I can make are:

1. Have the users with this proboem manually delete their cookies.

2. Empty the session table in the database (this would require most members to relogin). To do this you need to backup your database, then run this query in phpMyAdmin:

DELETE FROM session;

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by heyyou06
                    cookie domain is blank and path is '\'
                    That may be confusing some browsers... try '/'

Comment

i figured out that their security setting was wrong....they were accepting cookies but for some reason not from the board. When I had them change their secuirty setting from "custom" to "medium" they were able to post thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X