X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• naunun
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Sorry, but you can't backup a database with FTP. I'm afraid it sounds like you didn't make a backup copy of the database prior to restoring the server. If that's the case, then there is no way of retrieving this info. The only hope is if you have a copy of the database on another server somewhere. If so, you need to use the backup and restore procedures in the link I provided.
    Ouch! This is not the news we wanted. Will have to start from square one. Live and learn - we won't make that mistake again. Thanks for all your help.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Sorry, but you can't backup a database with FTP. I'm afraid it sounds like you didn't make a backup copy of the database prior to restoring the server. If that's the case, then there is no way of retrieving this info. The only hope is if you have a copy of the database on another server somewhere. If so, you need to use the backup and restore procedures in the link I provided.

Leave a comment:

• naunun
    replied
    How did you make the db backup? Also you need to restore the database. See Step Three here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
    I understand that the data was only backedup by ftp. Found the instructions for Moving Servers AFTER the restore . . . our bad . . . so didn't backup using the dump.sql

I'm not doing the hands on work here - just asking the questions to try to get things fixed. I sent the Moving Servers info so they have it now.

The problem was as described in my original post. As best as I can understand it, it's a matter of getting the database to look at the correct file ie. a problem with permissions.

Again here is the question sent to me by the person doing the work on the server:
    Is there a proceedure for extracting tables from an old,
    non-connected, database directory and inserting them into the current
    database?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    How did you make the db backup? Also you need to restore the database. See Step Three here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Leave a comment:

• naunun
    replied
    Did you backup the database prior to the system restore?
    Yes, it was downloaded by ftp before the restore. All the data is there - we just can't get it to work on the restored server. Even if we lose the database - it was only running for a few days before the crash - is there anyway to retrieve the templates?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Did you backup the database prior to the system restore?

Leave a comment:

• naunun
    started a topic Restoring data from ftp backup

Restoring data from ftp backup

We're pretty new to vBulletin so have a lot to learn. Now we're having a problem restoring data after a server system restore. The backup files were saved by ftp.

After they were ftp'd onto the new server, the directory was put back in the original location with a simple UNIX recursive copy. Then the file permissions and ownerships were adjusted to match the file permissions and ownerships of the default database. Unfortunately, the mysql database engine continues to look at the original (now renamed) directory, which means it is using file handles instead of directory names in order to maintain database integrity.

How can we get around this?

Is there a proceedure for extracting tables from an old,
    non-connected, database directory and inserting them into the current
    database?

Many thanks in advance. It would be a real hassle to have to start from scratch.