Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a bug, or am I misunderstanding this feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jilly
    replied
    more clarifications

It wasn't the 'who's online' that showed me the person browsing, it was when I was in the actual forum, and it said at the top "users browsing this forum", and it showed the banned person's name as being in the private forum, viewing it.

I tried the other suggestion, and went in, and sure enough, under my test username set to the 'no posting for five days' usergroup, I could see and access private boards.
    I'd like in future versions of the software for the basic permissions assigned to a new usergroup to be only the same as what normal registered members see - and access to any private forums be something that has to be granted specially.

The way I fixed it for was to go into each separate private forum I had, and use the 'set forum permissions' options, under the category "user groups", and go to each different title of usergroup, and make sure that it had custom settings set for that forum - for example I have moderators, registered members, supermoderators, banned members, and no posting for five days members - I had to go into each name of each usergroup for that forum, and use the 'use custom permissions' option for the forum, and deny any actions for the 'no posting for 5 days' group in order to make them unable to view private boards.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You can test this out by creating a test user and putting them in this group. Then try to access one of the private forums or threads.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Originally posted by jilly
    I was using vb2.2.4 - in that version, I had private forums. I also had a usergroup I had created called 'no posting for five days', which was to restrict members who are being disruptive. When I created the usergroup, I clicked the 'add' button in the 'user groups' filed. Then I named it 'no posting for five days" and in the "user status" field I put 'no posting'. I set the permissions for this group to be able to view boards and threads, but not to be able to post threads, reply, use private messages, ect - only view the board and threads. I *thought* this would mean that they would only have the permissions of a normal 'registered' member, and could view the regular boards, but not the private boards (since they can't view the private boards in their normal status) Then yesterday I upgraded to vb2.2.9 - and then today I noticed that a member, who is not a person who has access to a private forum, was viewing it, even though her 'member status' was set to the new 'no posting for 5 days' group that I had created.

Did I do something wrong in creating my new usergroup? Why could someone who could not access a private board in their normal registered status, access it when they had their member status set to 'no posting'?
    (To solve it temporarily I went into this person's forum access, and set them to 'no' for the private forums.)
    Who's Online is not an accurate respresentation of seeing what people are really doing. For example, a guest can be shown as editing their profile or retreiving their password which obviously won't happen; instead they're seeing a permission denied page.

If you set up the permissions correctly before, then just keep in mind that permissions are not fully inherited from parent forums to child forums, a bug which will not be fixed in the 2.2.x versions of vB.

Leave a comment:

• jilly
    started a topic a bug, or am I misunderstanding this feature?

a bug, or am I misunderstanding this feature?

I was using vb2.2.4 - in that version, I had private forums. I also had a usergroup I had created called 'no posting for five days', which was to restrict members who are being disruptive. When I created the usergroup, I clicked the 'add' button in the 'user groups' filed. Then I named it 'no posting for five days" and in the "user status" field I put 'no posting'. I set the permissions for this group to be able to view boards and threads, but not to be able to post threads, reply, use private messages, ect - only view the board and threads. I *thought* this would mean that they would only have the permissions of a normal 'registered' member, and could view the regular boards, but not the private boards (since they can't view the private boards in their normal status) Then yesterday I upgraded to vb2.2.9 - and then today I noticed that a member, who is not a person who has access to a private forum, was viewing it, even though her 'member status' was set to the new 'no posting for 5 days' group that I had created.

Did I do something wrong in creating my new usergroup? Why could someone who could not access a private board in their normal registered status, access it when they had their member status set to 'no posting'?
    (To solve it temporarily I went into this person's forum access, and set them to 'no' for the private forums.)