Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email activation mostly not working, 50%50% depending on provider

Here's a weird but at the same time popular issue:

I get MANY complaints of people that NEVER get the activation email.

I've read thru this forum about similar problems, but I must tell:

- This happens MOSTLY with hotmail and yahoo accounts.

- I've been suffering this problem since the beginning, when no hacks were installed.

- Board is v2.2.0 and I don't have the time to upgrade to latest release.

- It's NOT a server issue.

- No queues, no busy hours, it happens all the time.

And it's weird because i registered a username with hotmail and everytime I get a complaint from someone that is in hotmail and can't finish the registration process, i test the server sending him the activation email and at the same time i test it using MY hotmail account: he does not get it, i do.

I don't know what else to do. I run on a Virtual server along with another portal I control, that does not use VB but use email functionality, and everything works fine all the time. Even VB-mass-email to all users works fine!

Is there anything else I can do to fix this? It's driving me real mad!

Thanks!

I really don't see why it would be sending emails to certain users and not sending activation emails to others.

What's the URL to your board?

Comment

Originally posted by Areku
      Here's a weird but at the same time popular issue:

I get MANY complaints of people that NEVER get the activation email.

I've read thru this forum about similar problems, but I must tell:

- This happens MOSTLY with hotmail and yahoo accounts.
      You will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what hap
      pened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I've noticed that Hotmail often filters our activation letters to the Bulk Mail folder, and tell the members to look there.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          You will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what hap
          pened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.
          I do have read your pasted answer many times, but it's not a server issue afaik.

People directly complaints by writting FROM the problematic address and when I hit reply, they do get my response.

I've noticed it's not only Hotmail nor Yahoo, it also happens sporadically with other private domains as well.

Comment

And what do the mail server logs show? The answer is there.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I've noticed most of them report stuff like:

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Mailbox unavailable, how fun. Then later they email me from that mailbox and when I reply them, everything is fine.....

Comment

Yep, I get a lot of bounced emails with that message too - again mostly from Hotmail and Yahoo accounts. This is an issue on their end and I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X