• Rookie2
    replied
    Thanks Steve and fury!

I appreciate yall helpin me out here!!

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Yes, it will restore the forums to the exact state they were when you made the backup. This means anything added since then will be lost.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie2
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    I'm not sure who 'he' is. However it's not necessary to clear the database before restoring the backup. The restoration will drop any tables prior to restoring them.
    (he) is the support man for my web host service.

Let me ask this, if I use this backuo that was created on 1-4-2003 midnight to restore my database will it remove or have any effect on the posts made since then on the bulletin board?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I'm not sure who 'he' is. However it's not necessary to clear the database before restoring the backup. The restoration will drop any tables prior to restoring them.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie2
    replied
    Steve , I have finally a reply from my server

And he gave me the correct path to the file, to type on putty to make it work, but he said I would have to clear the original database, or it wouldnt work, does this sound right??

I have replied to his email about the same thing and also in how to go about clearing the database, but it has been 3 days in getting the original return email and figure you might know this better..

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Post the command you are using and the exact error message you are getting.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie2
    replied
    You can't run the 'mysql' command from FTP. You need to login to the shell with either telnet or ssh to do this.
    I know, I was just doing what he said in order to find the correct path.

I was using putty when I recieved those errors.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You can't run the 'mysql' command from FTP. You need to login to the shell with either telnet or ssh to do this.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie2
    replied
    The name of the backup file is
    1-04-2003.dump
    when I open it up in ftp as fury suggested I go through a folder called mysql and then it shows me my backup file,
    This Mysql folder was something I had my server create to store my backup files in so I could find them and download them to my computer just in case something ever happened, each day I download the file, and delete the previous day, and leave it on the server until the next backup happens.

I tried what fury said and believe I am doing it exactly as he said but it gives me the message
    mysql not understood or cd not understood ???

The information explained the way Fury did it is exactly what I am looking for thanks a bunch Fury!!

Leave a comment:

• fury
    replied
    Originally posted by Rookie2
    I have tried several things and honestly have no clue how to determine what the correct path is here.

I have a backup.php file is all I am finding besides the true backup files which ends in (.dump) not sql ??
    SSH (let's call this remote admin for clarity's sake) programs allow you to connect to the server and perform various commands on it that you wouldn't be able to do (or do easily) from FTP or a control panel. Most servers place you on the same default directory when connecting via SSH (remote admin) as you end up when you FTP into the site. So if you know where your backup dump file is in relation to your FTP home directory, you can enter this at the remote admin prompt. For instance, if you see the dump file as soon as you open up the FTP window for your site, all you have to do is type this at the remote admin prompt:

mysql -U username -p database name < name_of_the_file.dump

(change the bolded parts)

(and then enter your password when it asks)

If you have to go into a different directory to get to your backup file, separate them by slashes.

Example: You open up your FTP window, you go to public_html, and then backup. Here's what you would type at the remote admin prompt:

cd public_html/backup

Then do the mysql command above.

Or, alternatively, you could use this command to keep from having to use the cd command:

mysql -U username -p database name < public_html/backup/name_of_the_file.dump

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    What is the name and location of the backup file you said you created when you 'backup every night at Midnight'?

Leave a comment:

• Rookie2
    replied
    That's not the command you should use. It should be something like this:

mysql -U USERNAME -p DBNAME < backup.sql

Of course this assumes you are in the same directory as the backup file. If not, either change to that directory, or use the full path name to it, i.e.;

I have tried several things and honestly have no clue how to determine what the correct path is here.

I have a backup.php file is all I am finding besides the true backup files which ends in (.dump) not sql ??

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by Rookie2
    It says not understood but I am unsure of what the path should read too.
    I typed in mysql/1-4-2003.dump which is where the backup is?>?
    That's not the command you should use. It should be something like this:

mysql -U USERNAME -p DBNAME < backup.sql

Of course this assumes you are in the same directory as the backup file. If not, either change to that directory, or use the full path name to it, i.e.;

mysql -U USERNAME -p DBNAME < /path/to/backup.sql

Leave a comment:

• Rookie2
    replied
    It says not understood but I am unsure of what the path should read too.
    I typed in mysql/1-4-2003.dump which is where the backup is?>?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Then try typing the mysqldump command (with your specific db data) and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X