stealing my password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stealing my password

HI, I have this problem with hackers stealing my password and changing it, and changing the e-mail of my username as a signature to what he has done. This has happened 2 times in the past month, and I changed the password to a new one after the first hack, the e-mail has also been different these two times. Does someone have an idea of what door I leave wide open ?

Thanks
    Haakon

Make sure you don't have a trojan horse on your pc.
    And does that person have access to upload files to the forum? If so, he could upload a file which reads your cookies when you load that page.

Comment

Originally posted by Haakon
      HI, I have this problem with hackers stealing my password and changing it, and changing the e-mail of my username as a signature to what he has done. This has happened 2 times in the past month, and I changed the password to a new one after the first hack, the e-mail has also been different these two times. Does someone have an idea of what door I leave wide open ?

Thanks
      Haakon
      What version of vB? Later versions of vB encrypt passwords and I believe you must have access to your e-mail account to change a password as it generates a new one when you forget or change it. Hope you get your problems straightened out.
      Marc James
      Sports Central Beyond the Scores
      Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

Icheb : The account is on a shared server with a good hosting company so I don`t think a trojan would be too easy. No one except me has access to uploading files to the main directory or ony other part of the page, except the attachments. But I`ll look and see if there are any odd files there.

mjames : yes I know, so somehow he/they must have gotten it directly in some sort of way. I use that function to retrive my password again. Changing the e-mail back again to my address through mysql, and then retrive a new one.

Thanks for the support, icheb and mjames.
        Haakon

Comment

I rather meant a trojan horse on your pc. There are programs that send everything you type with your keyboard to someone else. However, it is unlikely that you have such a program on your pc, although it is possible and would explain your situation.

Comment

Thanks
            Haakon
            Turn off HTML in posts, PMs, signatures, and stay up to date on vB updates and you should be fine.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by Icheb
              I rather meant a trojan horse on your pc. There are programs that send everything you type with your keyboard to someone else. However, it is unlikely that you have such a program on your pc, although it is possible and would explain your situation.
              ok, I understand. I`ll get a virus scanner, and check my pc, thanks!

Comment

ok, I understand. I`ll get a virus scanner, and check my pc, thanks!
                As was suggested before, you should turn off HTML in your posts, signatures and private messages. Your vbulletin system cannot and will not be secure with this enabled.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Working...
                X