Cookie Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookie Issues?

I'm having some weird login/logout issues on a new board I'm trying to open.

Every time I click a link to go to a new page (ie - every link available) causes me to login. My settings are correct in my options - using cookies and such. This happens with any account I try to access the board with.

The admin panel is the same way - I login as normal and then I'm taken to a double login page, one for the left menu bar and one for the main page. I cannot make any changes inside the admin cp because once changes are made it prompts for login again and doesn't record the changes.

This has happened on two servers now. I originally thought it was because the board was conflicting with something else on the server (another board, being in a subdirectory, etc). But when moved to a new, clean server - same problems occur.

Any suggestions?

edited to add other helpful details:
    Version 2.2.8; modified
    Issue started happening recently, but I am unaware of a hack or modification that may have affected anything.
    This is the only board I have troubles with, thereby ruling out the computer being the troubler.
    All cookies have been deleted from the computer to no avail, either.
    I'm not an aol user.
    Last edited by Rose; Sat 28th Dec '02, 8:38am.

Not to double post, but I've already edited the above post a million times or so.

I'm available on msn at [email protected] or on aim at charmedgirl rose.
    Last edited by Rose; Mon 30th Dec '02, 10:05am. Reason: edited out needless quote from first message

Comment

If it just started happening recently then this was caused by a change you made. What changes were made just prior to this problem? Did you change the 'Cookie Domain' and/or 'Path to save cookies'?
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        If it just started happening recently then this was caused by a change you made. What changes were made just prior to this problem? Did you change the 'Cookie Domain' and/or 'Path to save cookies'?

Steve

I do not recall what changes were made. I haven't installed any hacks recently, only minor changes here and there such as buttons, forum descriptions, etc. Nothing that I can recall would affect cookies.

I'm sure my settings in the admin cp are incorrect for the "cookie domain" and "path to save cookies"; as it was originally set up for the first server I was at and the board was located in a subdirectory. However, errors came with this as well. I cannot change anything in the admin cp to correct the settings unless I do it manually in .php or sql, but I cannot figure out where.

Currently I'm set at:
        cookie domain: left blank
        path to save cookies: /crcc (original folder where forum was stored on first server; forum is in root on new server but I am unable to change the entry to "/")

I remember! The problem first occurred, I believe, when I changed the directory from "crcc" to "cridgec".

Comment

The cookie path is your problem then. You'll need to change this directly in the database by running this query:

SELECT * FROM template WHERE title='options'

Then find the appropriate variable for the cookie path and change it. Frankly I recommend changing it to:

/

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The cookie path is your problem then. You'll need to change this directly in the database by running this query:

Then find the appropriate variable for the cookie path and change it. Frankly I recommend changing it to:

/

Edited to say:

:d Thanks, Steve. I've never touched that variable before and didn't know it was set (must have been done by my co-admin who was helping set up things).

Thanks, Steve! You're always to the rescue.

Problem fixed and working grand. Thanks again! There's no place like vBulletin for better service, that's for sure.
            Last edited by Rose; Sat 28th Dec '02, 10:15am.

Comment

You're welcome!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

/
                Thanks Steve, I have the same problem. But the cookie path in the "options" template is already "/" And I still have that cookie problem. I've tried to set the cookie domain to : ".diendantinhoc.com" or "www.diendantinhoc.com" or "" (blank) but it didn't work. Could you help me pls ?

It's happened after I upgrade to v2.2.9 and then "downgrade" to v2.2.8 by upload my old files (v2.2.8).

Comment

You can't 'downgrade' to 2.2.8 by reuploading the files. This is because the upgrade made changes to the database.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

You can't 'downgrade' to 2.2.8 by reuploading the files. This is because the upgrade made changes to the database.
                    So I have to upload the v.2.2.9 files again ? Is there anyway else ? I don't have time to hack v2.2.9 again my v2.2.8 used a lots of hacks.

Comment

Originally posted by ddth.com
                      So I have to upload the v.2.2.9 files again ? Is there anyway else ? I don't have time to hack v2.2.9 again my v2.2.8 used a lots of hacks.
                      It's either this or restore a backup of the 2.2.8 database.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X