• Show
Clear All

• NBGUY
    replied
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    I believe the limit for a BLOB field is something like 65000 characters... we use MEDIUMTEXT for all our character fields > 255 chars.

Leave a comment:

• NBGUY
    replied
    its one of the options in the phpMyAdmin dropdown menu in the description section. it says to change it in the error? because there is a 255 char limit?

** edit-- i changed it to blob, and it works fine, there is no limit i guess to the amout of chars? i didnt get any errors yet (fingers crossed) **

thanks again steve for pointing me in the right direction.
    Last edited by NBGUY; Fri 27 Dec '02, 3:09pm.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I have no idea what 'blob' is.

Leave a comment:

• NBGUY
    replied
    should i use blob instead?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You need to access your database with phpMyAdmin, then click on the 'forum' table. Once you have that, click on the 'Change' link to the 'description' column and change the
    'Length/Values' setting to whatever you want. Then click on 'Save'.

Leave a comment:

• NBGUY
    replied
    thanks steve,

i am a newb when it comes to this stuff, can you give me a quick step on where and how to do this? i know how to backup the database. but where do i increase the char?

thanks again for the help, man you are fast!

ok, i just gave it a shot, i get a error,

Error SQL-query : ALTER TABLE `nbguy-forums`.`forum` CHANGE `description` `description` CHAR(350) NOT NULL
    MySQL said:
    Too big column length for column 'description' (max = 255). Use BLOB instead
    i want to make it 375 char, but i dont want to screw it up, so i post my error here before i do.

thanks again.
    Last edited by NBGUY; Fri 27 Dec '02, 12:42pm.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by NBGUY
    there are no hacks on my board. i do have vportal though.
    vBPortals *is* a hack - and a major one at that.

Noentheless to change this you'd need to increase the length of the 'description' column of the forum table. One way to do this is with phpMyAdmin. Always make a backup of your database prior to making any direct changes to it.

Leave a comment:

• NBGUY
    started a topic subforums question?

subforums question?

i want to add subforums links to my forum home page under the description, now i asked over at vbulletintemplates and was told how to do it. but when i try to do it, i get the wierdest thing.

it will not let me go over a certain amount of charecters? i can do maybe one link ok and all is fine, but if i try to add more then that....

the following happens?

the moderator colum changes to the second alt color, and the end link where it gets cut off at just says a number? it basicallty cuts me off a certain amount of charec and then messes it up if i try to add anymore. then once i go to the admin cp into the forum desc, it doesnt have everything i put in there, it just automatically removes it?

i asked for help on this at vbtemplates, and they dont know whats wrong either? there are no hacks on my board. i do have vportal though. is there anyway i can increase the amount of charecters allowing in the forum description?

right now i removed the messup from the board so it doesnt look wierd. and my board is going under major reconstruction, so i most going to change the format, but i really wanted this to work, if i could get it to.

thanks in advanced.