Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Host almost cut my account.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Host almost cut my account.

    I just installed vB 2.2.9, Everything was going well until the host took my account down and forwarded me several emails. The emails were from the email activation,

    "We have received more than 25 messgaes from our mail delivery system that you have sent bulk emails. Please stop doing that, according to TOC and FAQ we donot allow bulk emails in our servers."

    They forwarded some of them to me and it seems fine until I notice that 1 account had almost 20 emails sent to it. It was an invalid email addy and I don't know why there were so many sent. Is this a common problem? For the time being I've turned email activation off and it will remain off until I can see some possibilites on a fix for this.

  • #2
    Originally posted by DFX
    I just installed vB 2.2.9, Everything was going well until the host took my account down and forwarded me several emails. The emails were from the email activation,

    "We have received more than 25 messgaes from our mail delivery system that you have sent bulk emails. Please stop doing that, according to TOC and FAQ we donot allow bulk emails in our servers."

    They forwarded some of them to me and it seems fine until I notice that 1 account had almost 20 emails sent to it. It was an invalid email addy and I don't know why there were so many sent. Is this a common problem? For the time being I've turned email activation off and it will remain off until I can see some possibilites on a fix for this.
    probably a member re-requesting the activation because it was sent to the wrong email, there is really nothing that can be done in this case apart from informing members that they can confirm the email within the usercp.
    Scott MacVicar

    My Blog | Twitter

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
      probably a member re-requesting the activation because it was sent to the wrong email, there is really nothing that can be done in this case apart from informing members that they can confirm the email within the usercp.
      Just found the problem, wasn't email activation. Wrong email addy with 'notify of reply via email' checked on. Is there anyway I can disable this feature?
      Last edited by DFX; Wed 25th Dec '02, 4:43pm.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DFX
        Just found the problem, wasn't email activation. Wrong email addy with 'notify of reply via email' checked on. Is there anyway I can disable this feature?
        not without disabling all the email functions.

        Though you can cheat and edit your functions.php open it in your favourite editor and look for

        PHP Code:
          if (!$enableemail) {
            return;
          }

          
        $threadinfo getthreadinfo($threadid);
          
        $foruminfo getforuminfo($threadinfo[forumid]); 
        replace

        PHP Code:
          if (!$enableemail) {
            return;
          } 
        with

        PHP Code:
        return; 
        this will prevent any notification from being sent for threads.
        Scott MacVicar

        My Blog | Twitter

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
          not without disabling all the email functions.

          Though you can cheat and edit your functions.php open it in your favourite editor and look for

          PHP Code:
            if (!$enableemail) {
              return;
            }

            
          $threadinfo getthreadinfo($threadid);
            
          $foruminfo getforuminfo($threadinfo[forumid]); 
          replace

          PHP Code:
            if (!$enableemail) {
              return;
            } 
          with

          PHP Code:
          return; 
          this will prevent any notification from being sent for threads.
          Thanks, I went ahead and disabled all the email features for the time being. Tomorrow, I'll cheat.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DFX
            Thanks, I went ahead and disabled all the email features for the time being. Tomorrow, I'll cheat.
            Also, you might wanan consider in changing hosts if they consider 20 bouncing email messages as spam. They are more anal than most places I know. A professional mailing list with 100's of members will get more than their fair share of "wrong email" addresses bouncing, especially if its an active mailing list.
            There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

            Comment

            widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X