N00B FTP help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N00B FTP help Please!

Awright, I just bought VB, I figured I might be able to install it myself. I edited the code as it said and then uploaded it to the functioning folder on my FTP. I also made sure images were uploaded binary and the rest ASCII. But, I obviously did something wrong. I uploaded the images and files straight to the website. No folder for the files to go in. Was this right or did i need to create a seperate directory or something?

Originally posted by graham21
    Awright, I just bought VB, I figured I might be able to install it myself. I edited the code as it said and then uploaded it to the functioning folder on my FTP. I also made sure images were uploaded binary and the rest ASCII. But, I obviously did something wrong. I uploaded the images and files straight to the website. No folder for the files to go in. Was this right or did i need to create a seperate directory or something?
    You should have left the directory structure the same.

Example:

In your vBulletin zip, the upload folder contains files in the root directory, and the following folders: "admin" "images" and "mod"

Leave the structure the same, and upload the images in the images folder.

Basically what you should do is, upload all the files in the "upload" directory (in your vbulletin zip) to your server, leaving the structure the same. When you do this, the folders within the upload directory will be uploaded, with the correct files within each directory. (the images will automatically be in the images folder, the admin files will already be in the admin directory, etc)
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vile
      You should have left the directory structure the same.

Example:

In your vBulletin zip, the upload folder contains files in the root directory, and the following folders: "admin" "images" and "mod"

Leave the structure the same, and upload the images in the images folder.
      I did that, I just didn't keep the upload folder...
      I'm not sure what I did wrong, after all, I have the settings file and all...

Comment

I did that, I just didn't keep the upload folder...
        I'm not sure what I did wrong, after all, I have the settings file and all...
        In your first post, you mentioned:

"I uploaded the images and files straight to the website. No folder for the files to go in"

So did you upload them to the actual directory they belong in (server-->folder), or the root directory (server-->files) of the server?
        www.MegaGames.com
        www.MGForums.com

Comment

In your first post, you mentioned:

"I uploaded the images and files straight to the website. No folder for the files to go in"

So did you upload them to the actual directory they belong in, or the root directory of the server?
          I'm not sure what a root directory is... I uploaded them to the site where I upload all my .html files...

Comment

I'm not sure what a root directory is... I uploaded them to the site where I upload all my .html files...
            That should still work fine, but it's usually better to create another directory for your fourms.

Example:
            Connect to your server, and in the public_html folder (or whatver directory you upload your normal htm files to) and create a folder called "forums"
            Then upload everything in the upload directory (in your vb zip) to your forums directory.
            www.MegaGames.com
            www.MGForums.com

Comment

That should still work fine, but it's usually better to create another directory for your fourms.

Example:
              Connect to your server, and in the public_html folder (or whatver directory you upload your normal htm files to) and create a folder called "forums"
              Then upload everything in the upload directory (in your vb zip) to your forums directory.
              does the binary/ ascII thing matter?

Comment

does the binary/ ascII thing matter?
                Yeah, but most FTP clients are smart enough to automatically upload it that way. If you want a free one that's decent, check out www.smartftp.com
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

Yeah, but most FTP clients are smart enough to automatically upload it that way. If you want a free one that's decent, check out www.smartftp.com
                  Okay, I got the install screen, can anyone make sense of:

Attempting to attach to database...

Warning: Failed opening './db_php 4.php' for inclusion (include_path='') in /www/s/studentcube/htdocs/forums/admin/install.php on line 334

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: db_sql_vb in /www/s/studentcube/htdocs/forums/admin/install.php on line 336

...if you could reply ASAP it would be of great help, thankyou!

Comment

You have the wrong dbservertype in config.php. It should be:

// type of database running
                    // (only mysql is supported at the moment)
                    $dbservertype="mysql";
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X