Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I ban a user?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do I ban a user?

    Dumb question I know, but how do I ban a user?

    nevermind I got it
    Last edited by subduck; Wed 18 Dec '02, 4:30pm.

  • #2
    Originally posted by subduck
    Dumb question I know, but how do I ban a user?

    nevermind I got it
    Hi, nice to see that you found it. But just in case someone uses search and would also like to know: Login to the Moderators Control Panel on you forum as a moderators/super moderator or administrator. You can find it by browsing to yoursite.com/forum/mod/

    Extra tip: to prevent abuse; you could password protect the control panel directories like admin/ and mod/ with .htpasswd and .htaccess

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi,

      Sometimes banning a user is waste of time - the person just registers as a new user. There's a solution in the thread, "banning by IP".
      Steve Price

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by steveprice
        Hi,

        Sometimes banning a user is waste of time - the person just registers as a new user. There's a solution in the thread, "banning by IP".
        Users who are abusive and removed and still try to register and bypass security are logged and reported to their ISP who can handle such abusers at the root.

        Comment


        • #5
          Banning by IP is the only sure way, and unfortunately, you'll possibly block others. One one forum I visit, the admins have a running joke of an "insta-ban" forum. When the head admin first got the forum, I personaly had him become very familiar with every possible method of banning as I was the "instaban king". He finaly thwarted all my work arounds by banning by IP, which unfortunately nabbed two of the other members who lived in my neighborhood and used the same ISP. Coulda been worse though... At the time, I had 2 cable routhers... I coulda been on a dial-up with a bigger range of dynamic IPs...

          Were there a situation of a serious banning and the person insisted on coming back, getting in touch with the person's ISP might be a necessary course of action. I'm sure there may have been even mroe work-arounds past a banning me and my other admin friend could not figure out.

          Comment


          • #6
            Can someone please be kind enough to explain how/where to ban by IP in VB, the only ban controls I can find are to ban by username...

            Thanks.

            EDIT: Sorry this is in the wrong forum, I have VB3 if it makes any difference.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Paul_w
              Can someone please be kind enough to explain how/where to ban by IP in VB, the only ban controls I can find are to ban by username...

              Thanks.

              EDIT: Sorry this is in the wrong forum, I have VB3 if it makes any difference.
              If you need help with v3, please start a new thread in the appropiate vb3 support forum. Thank you.

              Comment

              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X