Guests - ''viewing'' what they should not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guests - ''viewing'' what they should not

I'll try and be brief but - this is very concerning.

Due to some problems the board is now running private .... thus usergroup ''unregistered'' (and pending) is set so that NOTHING should be seen ... all settings for viewing are set to ''no''. We currently have registration switched off also and are accepting thru referral only.

When we check ourselves as admins . we look at the board as unregistered .. and can see nothing ... just a request for login.

BUT!! On checking ''who's online'', we see guests showing .. most appear to be seeing ''main index'' (odd in itself!) but now and again we see things like ''user control panel'', ''retrieving password''!!!!!!! and viewing a thread!! This is very concerning indeed ........ and how do we know what is actually happening ... and how?

Is this - can this - be a quirk of the software?? Or are we in fact having unregistered people ''getting inside'' the board?? How do we tell and how do we correct this at all?

I did consider the possibility of a search done elsewhere, maybe leading to a link that ''gets them in'' but we tested that and it appeared to only bring up a login page. So . a mystery, and a worrying one.

Please ....... any suggestions here??

This just means someone (perhaps a searcvh engine robot) is trying different URLs on your forums. If you have the permissions set correctly all they are seeing is the 'no permission' page.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      This just means someone (perhaps a searcvh engine robot) is trying different URLs on your forums. If you have the permissions set correctly all they are seeing is the 'no permission' page.
      Thx Steve ..... it is very much what I am hoping and seems only explanation but . disconcerting nonetheless!!

Comment

Originally posted by ACB
        Thx Steve ..... it is very much what I am hoping and seems only explanation but . disconcerting nonetheless!!

If you logout of your forum, you are not logged in and therefor the usergroup unregistered/guest and what you see if what everybody else who is not logged in, sees.

If anybody goes to the admin control panel, this will show up online, but doesn't mean they are actually seeing the control panel - permission denied is what they will actually see (or in acp's case; you are not an admin or entered wrong username).

The whois online is just saying what they are doing 'viewing a thread x' but they only see what they are supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
          The whois online is just saying what they are doing 'viewing a thread x' but they only see what they are supposed to.
          Thx .. I think from various checks things must be Ok .. it's just that element of doubt!

Comment

Working...
          X