Trying to backup to move: Dont know TELNET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to backup to move: Dont know TELNET

Telnet/SSH into your system (we'll call it machine1) from the root directory, type
    mysqldump --opt -uUSERNAME -p databasename > /path/to/dump.sql this should only take about than 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on your database size when it is completed, it will bring you back to the prompt verify that you have a dump.sql in the /path/to area you specified

Those are the instructions...these are the questions!
    1) How do i get to the root? I used a telnet client to access my server but I dont know if im in the root or how to get there?
    2) Im assuming "USERNAME" has to be all caps (why else would the example be all caps)
    3) is /path/to/dump.sql an example OR is that EXACTLY what needs to be typed?
    4) When I type in mysqldump --opt -uMYUSERNAME -p databasename > /path/to/dump.sql
    I get "bash: mysqldump: command not found"

Is there a BETTER instructions on how to backup my database? Ones that are more descriptive or easier to for a newbie to understand?

Originally posted by scatpack
    Telnet/SSH into your system (we'll call it machine1) from the root directory, type
    mysqldump --opt -uUSERNAME -p databasename > /path/to/dump.sql this should only take about than 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on your database size when it is completed, it will bring you back to the prompt verify that you have a dump.sql in the /path/to area you specified

Those are the instructions...these are the questions!
    1) How do i get to the root? I used a telnet client to access my server but I dont know if im in the root or how to get there?
    2) Im assuming "USERNAME" has to be all caps (why else would the example be all caps)
    3) is /path/to/dump.sql an example OR is that EXACTLY what needs to be typed?
    4) When I type in mysqldump --opt -uMYUSERNAME -p databasename > /path/to/dump.sql
    I get "bash: mysqldump: command not found"

Is there a BETTER instructions on how to backup my database? Ones that are more descriptive or easier to for a newbie to understand?
    1. From the root of where you are logged on
    2. No, it's in all caps to show what needs to be replaced
    3. Example
    4. You don't have the mysqldumb program installed or you may need to look in /usr/local/mysql/bin

Comment

Working...
    X