gzip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gzip?

Does anyone know how to turn on the gzip for the forum to make the traffic run smoother?

Admin CP -> Options -> vBulletin Options -> [HTTP Headers and Output] -> Gzip

Zlib must be compiled into PHP to use Gzip in this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
      Admin CP -> Options -> vBulletin Options -> [HTTP Headers and Output] -> Gzip

Zlib must be compiled into PHP to use Gzip in this way.
      Will turning on gzip cause any problems? And how do you compiled zlib into php? Will gzip help your traffic in anyway?

Comment

Gzip compression will utilize more CPU cycles to compress your forum pages. Gzip can compress text (html) output by up to 80 - 90%. Installing PHP is another matter... you should contact your host about this, or post in our Server Configuration forum.

Comment

Originally posted by PlayADay
          Will turning on gzip cause any problems? And how do you compiled zlib into php? Will gzip help your traffic in anyway?
          I was eating up big amounts of bandwith with my previous host because I couldn't use gzip, now my new host has gzip and I use less bandwith with more activity.

Comment

So if i understand well, if bandwith is not an issue, it is better to leave GZIP OFF in your board config so it doesnt consume too much CPU power?

And does turning it ON, slow your board?

Comment

I would say it's better to leave it on because it speeds up loading. As long as you have enough CPU to go around, gzip is a good thing.

Comment

I woulkdnt set it much higher than 1 though

Comment

Okie, i have set it to "On". It looks much faster!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X