• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    george_proost

• george_proost
    replied
    What was wrong ... How I kixed it..

I made the assumption that the .MDI file was 100% correct and the .MYI file was physically corrupt. I also noticed from previous attempts that the .MYI file gets updated in place. This is not good for a physically damaged medium, hence the i/o errors on write during repair. So the damaged area needs to be isolated and a new index needs to be built from the MYD.

Here is the step by step for a physical medium corruption if a mySQL table index.
    • mv thread.MYI thread.MYI.corrupted
      - (this keeps the physical surface reserved, note that the .MYI is logically not present for the data base)
    • cp thread.MYD thread.MYD.backup (must be done)
    • mysql my_database_name
    • mysql > AUTOCOMMIT=1;
    • mysql > TRUNCATE TABLE thread;
      - (this in effect deletes all the data and REALLOCATES (delete and defines) the .MYI)
    • mysql > quit
    • cp thread.MYD.backup thread.MYD
      - (now the data is there with an empty but not physically corrupted .MYI file. NOTE: do not use DELETE FROM thread which tries to retain the current/corrupted .MYI which has been made unavailable in step 1) )
    • myisamchk -r -q thread
    • rm thread.MYD.backup
    • ISP copies drive accross/installs etc
    • rm thread.MYI.corrupted

Like Magic....

This is actually quite a secure method and I see it applicable in many recovery scenarios. Eg: just take the .MYD files as backups and recover the .MYI .

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by george_proost
    Hi Steve, I have Cpanel and myphpadmin. Under myphpadmin when I look at the tables the 2 table mentioned are marked as 'in use'.

I have subsequently, relaxed taken the refernce book and started checking the tables telnetted into the server.

I find that those tables are 'corrupted' after a check .. I'm now following eva.. (other george's) recovery instructions ... knock on wood for me bud ..

thk for your interest ..

hmmm.... error 28: when fixing table !!!

regards

George
    Error code 28: No space left on device

You have run out of space in either the MySQL partition or the /tmp partition. You'll need to ask your host to check this and free up some space.

Leave a comment:

• george_proost

• george_proost
    replied
    Post table no ok ...

now problem thread ..... i/o error when I copy it for pre-recover backup
    how to takkle this one ... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Leave a comment:

• george_proost

• george_proost
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    I don't understand. Where exactly is this showing up and why is it a problem?
    Hi Steve, I have Cpanel and myphpadmin. Under myphpadmin when I look at the tables the 2 table mentioned are marked as 'in use'.

I have subsequently, relaxed taken the refernce book and started checking the tables telnetted into the server.

I find that those tables are 'corrupted' after a check .. I'm now following eva.. (other george's) recovery instructions ... knock on wood for me bud ..

thk for your interest ..

hmmm.... error 28: when fixing table !!!

regards

George

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I don't understand. Where exactly is this showing up and why is it a problem?

Leave a comment:

• george_proost

• george_proost
    started a topic Big Problem ... very little knowledge

Big Problem ... very little knowledge

Hi all,

I have a problrm.
    under phpmyadmin my tables post and thread are shown as 'in use'
    how can I reslove this??

Please help.

tia
    george